Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 A-pillar Tweeter Wire Access

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A-pillar Tweeter Wire Access

Does anyone know if the A-pillar tweeter wire can be accessed directly through the wiring harness at the back of the HU?

I have a 2012 FX4 Supercrew 6-disc HU, no-nav, no sony. I also have the dreaded MOLEX connectors to the front doors. I'm thinking of installing replacement component speakers and adding the Alpine 445 amp.

It would make a lot of sense to install the crossovers through the harness along with the Alpine amp all in one process to avoid other workarounds because of the MOLEX. I just don't know if the tweeters and woofers in the front both come back to the HU separately or if they are split somewhere else.

Also does anyone know if FOMOCO is using an external crossover for the fronts and where that might be? I've seen reference that the HU just cuts the signal internally, but don't know if that means an electronic crossover built into the HU.

Thanks a lot to anyone who knows.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same question, will appreciate any inputs here.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperHawk
Does anyone know if the A-pillar tweeter wire can be accessed directly through the wiring harness at the back of the HU?

I have a 2012 FX4 Supercrew 6-disc HU, no-nav, no sony. I also have the dreaded MOLEX connectors to the front doors. I'm thinking of installing replacement component speakers and adding the Alpine 445 amp.

It would make a lot of sense to install the crossovers through the harness along with the Alpine amp all in one process to avoid other workarounds because of the MOLEX. I just don't know if the tweeters and woofers in the front both come back to the HU separately or if they are split somewhere else.

Also does anyone know if FOMOCO is using an external crossover for the fronts and where that might be? I've seen reference that the HU just cuts the signal internally, but don't know if that means an electronic crossover built into the HU.

Thanks a lot to anyone who knows.
I bet if you pull the door panel off you will find another wire going up to the tweeter. probably crossed over with a capacity to keep the lows out of the tweeter.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Promoted to Elitist Prick

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nvm

Last edited by wasinger3000; 09-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Mr. telephone pole

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If you pull the a-piller trim off, the tweeter will unplug where the bottom goes into the dash.Above the plug between the plug and tweeter you'll find the crossover.This is on the base system,and not the Sony.On this system,it's NOT in the head unit.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Promoted to Elitist Prick

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ahh yes. The base hu. I have no experience with this. I retract my statement.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Mr. telephone pole

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wasinger3000
Ahh yes. The base hu. I have no experience with this. I retract my statement.
I figured the Sony was different,and i've only worked on my base system.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Regular Cab
I figured the Sony was different,and i've only worked on my base system.
So if you got 5.25" components (inexpensive, say Sound Ordnance P-52C) and planned to power them off the factory head unit only (single disc w/Sync, non-Sony), would you need to use the provided crossover or just install the speakers and rely on the factory crossover? I'd like to put some decent components on the front doors and coaxial's in the rear doors. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCityF150
So if you got 5.25" components (inexpensive, say Sound Ordnance P-52C) and planned to power them off the factory head unit only (single disc w/Sync, non-Sony), would you need to use the provided crossover or just install the speakers and rely on the factory crossover? I'd like to put some decent components on the front doors and coaxial's in the rear doors. Thanks!
Pretty sure there is not a crossover there just a capacitor to keep the low signals out of the tweeter.
The following users liked this post:
BrewCityF150 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is only an inline resister on the tweeter, the door woofer im pretty sure is full range off the headunit. I am just about to do my install and there are a few ways you can do it.

1. You can run the woofer in the door full range and no crossover. Then for the tweeter buy the wiring adapter from Metra that plugs into the factory plug and then plug that into the input on your aftermarket crossover then on the crossover tweeter output just run speaker wrire to the tweeter.

2. If you plan to amp the speakers using an external amplifier like I am, I will be buying the BT-5520 and cutting it. I will send the headunit output to an LOC and into the amp, then I will be using the other end of the cut into the crossovers woofer output as this wire goes directly to the door. Then I will send a new set of speaker wire to my tweeters from the crossover and then the crossover input will come from my amplifiers speaker out with the amplified signal travelling to both the mid and tweeter passively crossed over.
The following users liked this post:
Trujap (03-28-2022)

Quick Reply: 2012 A-pillar Tweeter Wire Access