Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 idatalink maestro question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2012 idatalink maestro question

So i have a 2012 f150 xlt ss with the basic stereo (not sony). i am about to order the kenwood dnx9990hd and need to know what to order for the idatalink maestro parts.

the schosche double din kit looks oem with the hU in it correct? i hear metra looks like crap.

anything else i need to buy to make this work? does the maestro just plug and play minus hooking up the wire to the steering wheel control?

i read all the posts on google and f150forum.com and im still a little confused. i have installed my own indash units before in my own vehicles, just never a brand new truck. Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 AM
F150 Forum

Received 350 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtman
So i have a 2012 f150 xlt ss with the basic stereo (not sony). i am about to order the kenwood dnx9990hd and need to know what to order for the idatalink maestro parts.

the schosche double din kit looks oem with the hU in it correct? i hear metra looks like crap.

anything else i need to buy to make this work? does the maestro just plug and play minus hooking up the wire to the steering wheel control?

i read all the posts on google and f150forum.com and im still a little confused. i have installed my own indash units before in my own vehicles, just never a brand new truck. Thanks
Idk much about maestro, but the schoshe kit does look better then metras. However it does not look OEM, as OEM dash kits have texture and the schoshe kits are smooth
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

call crutchfield they will give you everything you need. just remember, You can only use serius with an externel dock if you have the maestro. that's why i didn't get it.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtman

There is a whole other thread about the Maestro and what it can/can't do. I would read it before investing that much in a HU
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did this same install a couple of weeks ago. I installed a Kenwood DNX6190 in a 2012 XLT with sync but no navigation. I had very little experience in this area but was able to have a trouble free install as I carefully researched everything and had an idea exactly what to do before I started. I ordered from Crutchfield and they include the other 2 pieces you need, the Ford specific wiring harness (ADS-HRN(SR)-FOR01), and the serial cable (ADS-HRN(SX)-ALL01) to connect to the Kenwood.

1 - Once you get your radio and have the serial number you need to program the Idatalink. You must go to their website and register before you can do this. Once you register you will go through a simple setup process where you input your year, model, etc. and what functions you want your steering wheel buttons to perform. Then you download the setup to the Idatalink from your computer.

2- I made all the connections between my Kenwood harness and the Idatalink harness before I did the install. Then all you need to do is simply plug everything in. There are no wires in the truck that you have to connect to. The instructions state there is one wire you need to tap into, but that is incorrect for the 2012 models, all you simply do is connect the plugs. The instructions tell you what wires to connect, basically you just match up the colors. Installation instructions can be found here - http://maestro.idatalink.com/support

3 - You must verify that your Kenwood has the latest firmware, at least rev 1.5 on it or the Idatalink will not talk to it correctly. This was the only part of the install that slowed me down. You need to use a USB Drive that is formatted with FAT or the unit will not be able to read it. I could not get the unit to read any of the new USB Drives I had and only got it to work with an older one.

4 - Once I did the update the Kenwood automatically recognized the Idatalink and synced with it, requiring you to turn the key switch on and off a few times during the process, just follow the onsreen instructions on the Kenwood.

I think once you look at the instructions for the Idatalink and for the Kenwood and match the wires up you will see that part of it at least is not difficult at all. It also helps that the dash on the F150 is very easy to take apart, will only take a couple of minutes if you have to do it a 2nd time. There is a ton of room behind the radio so you have plenty of room to stuff everything back there. If you have any questions I will be more than glad to answer them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bucko2012:
12V Guy (11-23-2012), dirtman (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM

thanks everyone. ill post if i have more questions and let you all know when its done. maybe ill take some pics
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM

I read all the reviews about how it doesn't come stock with it in the HU. kinda is a rip off since this head unit is super expensive. I also read how they took out other stuff as well. If it wasn't for this maestro i probably would consider another unit. I have had pioneer, but there gps really irritated me. think im gonna give kenwood a shot.

good thing i don't like sirius radio.

Quick Reply: 2012 idatalink maestro question