Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 Ford F-150, XLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2012 Ford F-150, XLT

(This was already posted on another section, Figure I moved it to the Audio section to see IF I get clearer answers.)

Hello everyone, New to the forum as well as a NEW owner of the Ford 150.

Recently purchased a 2012 Ford F-150 XLT, Stock Radio and Stock Speakers With Microsoft Sync. I have been asking around stores such as Best Buy, Tint World to have put in a in-DASH GPS system.

I am currently looking at these two models,

Pioneer - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z140BH

Kenwood - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX7....html?tp=20212

However my only concern is I have been talking with the technicians and they have been telling me that "I may loose, the functionality of my steering wheel sync buttons" They are also saying that the adapters currently in the market are not 100% compatible.

So bottom line question, Has anyone successfully gone from Stock radio to In-DASH GPS system and still maintained there buttons on the steering wheel and sync working properly?

If so please include some details, What GPS system did you purchase, which adapter if any did you purchase?

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you guys in advance!

Proud new Ford-F150 Owner,
-Mike

Last edited by FordNovaa; 04-07-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Links were broken, Fixed now!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Darn, No one has gone from Stock Radio to In-DASH Navigation system? and been able to keep there sync functions and steering wheel controls?

-Mike
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM

A friend of mine has...had to pick up a few PAC modules and relays to make the steering wheel functions operational but lost sync...he didnt care for sync since the head unit had its own bluetooth functions...and like every other aftermarket part "it doesn't work right"
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 PM

OH YEA...dont forget about your warranty and it was not a 2012 F150
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

The lack of response is probably because the answers can be found by just searching this forum.

FWIW, it can be done and retain Sync. You will need a MS-FRD1 to retain Sync and a PAC SWI to retain steering wheel controls.

A piece of advice. If the shop or techs you have spoke to do not know or are unsure, find another shop, unless you like being their guinea pig.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 AM
2011 Screw XLT 4x4

The new Kenwood Excelon line has the ability to retain SYNC capabilities with voice control. I think its called iDatalink Maestro (pg.5). Here is the brochure. It is specifically geared to Ford SYNC owners. So you should be able to ask about it for the model you're looking for.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/...2_Brochure.pdf
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Wow Trigga, Thank you very much bro. That blew me away!

IF its true and does what it says it does, Very cool and I will sure be picking one up when it lauches. Once again thank you.

-Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Looks like Idatalink does remote starts and alarms as of now. The feature that will work with SYNC is an add on to their new HUs. Unfortunately you are limited to using the Kenwoods. Not that they aren't a great HU but with the PAC FRD-1 you are not limited to what brand HU you want to use and I bet a $120 cable is going to be a lot less than the Idatalink box
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Hey Wyo,

Where did you get those figures budd? I been browsing around and IF I go with the Pac Modules, I need more than 1 to do the job and it is fairly expensive also right?

I believe I would need:

MS-FRD1 (Main Module)
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26
MSRP: $249.95 (I have seen it cheaper on other online stores, Approx $129.99)

and I also need

SWI-RC (Steering Wheel Control)
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29
MSRP: $85.80 (Possibly also cheaper online, Approx 69.99)

If this info is correct, it's approx $199.98, If I can get all this functionality on 1 module "IF" it works as intended it would be the better option for me atleast.

Because with the Pack control it also comes with a Monochrome LCD, which I guess you have to keep somewhere, to be able to adjust and change settings. Where would I put it and still maintain a descent look on the dash itself?

(All this info MAY be wrong, these are just my assumptions. )

Contacted Kenwood and this is what they said about the unit,

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. We value you as a Kenwood customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.
I understand you’re inquiring about the Kenwood iData Link Maestro adapter however there isn’t an exact date of when it will be released to the dealers. The adapter will be released later on in the year and more information about the device, how it connects, and functionality will be available.
Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

So I'm still waiting and thinking of what route to take

-Mike

Last edited by FordNovaa; 04-10-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Bolded "ALL this info may be wrong" because it COULD BE!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

SWI-RC on Ebay new for $39.94 shipped
MS-FRD1 on Ebay new for $132.50 shipped

Total would be $172.44

So I was $52.44 low.

You do not need the PAC screen plugged in. Mine is still in the box.

You will be limited to what HU you can use with the Kenwood. With the PAC you can use any HU.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ford F-150, XLT