Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade

Okay. After reading so many posts and getting lost in the woods, I decided to shoot this flare and see if someone can guide me to the right place.

I have a 2012 F-150 XLT Screw with factory Sirius and Sync. I made the (unwise) decision to install the Carshow OEM (Rosen) nav system which was a 'plug and play' to the existing radio unit. I've had plenty of issues with the Nav system and the SD card. I could go into a ranting detail but I will leave it at that.

I am thinking now of upgrading to an OEM Nav receiver like the Pioneer AVIC or similar. Research there leads me into more confusion. The radios say they are Sirius-XM compatible but I would need an external module. Does my current OEM radio have an Sirius/XM module internal or external? How would I know? If external, why can't I just use it?

Now for the Sync part. I didn't really use the Sync that much and now I have to pay a subscription. The new units come with Bluetooth and all kinds of App integrations. So, why do I need to worry about Sync? Or is it just easier to integrate it all anyway? Some OEM (Pioneer and Kenwood models) say they can display the vehicle info such as gauges and climate control. Is that true for the 2012 version of Sync?

Okay. That's about enough for now. I am going to California for a few days and I am going to stop at the Rosen tech center and see what they can do to fix my SD card - for the third time. If I can get it to work, I will still replace it all but try and sell the other system on ebay (or here on F-150 forum). Oh yeah, can I sell my old radio receiver when I remove and replace it? I want to recoup some of my lost investment.

Thanks folks.
Dennis
Old 12-07-2016, 12:18 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I had a Kenwood 892 with Garmin nav built in, in my 2012 xlt with Sync. I kept sync, worked well for me, but no reason to, if you dont wanna pay extra for it.

I aslo installed a oem style backup cam from TheCamerSource.com(you can choose to get it with Parking Guide Lines or Not), when I installed the HU. Total install time was 3 and half hrs, going slow. Everything worked great.

Youll also need a sirius xm tuner, if you listen to that, theyre like 35.00, and you can use the oem antenna, if your truck has it already from the factory.

The 892 I had, included Pandora, Iheart Radio Apps, 2 usb inputs on rear ( I ran
Seperate usbs in my console for my ipod, and usb drive), Hd Radio, Bluetooth, etc... I got it from Crutchfield.com for 749.99 refurbished, about a yr and half ago.. youll also want the Maestro Rr Module, to retain Steering wheel controls, and if you wanna keep Sync!

My favorite part, was there was NO cutting or splicing of factory wires. Everythjng had a harness, that just connected to the factory, radio harness!

Lemme know, if youd like more pics...

Heres some pics, for example...
Attached Thumbnails 2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20150805_232106.jpg   2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20151217_100856.jpg   2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20151123_161520.jpg   2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20151203_152143.jpg   2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20160105_163025.jpg  

Last edited by Toddman38; 12-07-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 AM
One Clean Machine

Yes, you can do Gauges on a XLT, but Climate controll, no, youd need a Lariat or higher trim for the Hvac controlls to work and display...

You just tap the OBD2 port for the gauges, and tire pressure to display...

Also get the Scoshce Bezel, at you can see the Metra, has a weird looking trim piece around the HU. I swapped my Metra rsdio bezel for the Scoshce. Price was 19.99 for the Scoshce on amazon.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20151027_111018.jpg   2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20150812_162555.jpg  
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Cool looking install. When you tapped into the OBD, how did you do that? Is it part of the Maestro RR kit? On the Garmin Nav, do you have to pay for updates?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 PM
One Clean Machine

Originally Posted by densher1
Thanks. Cool looking install. When you tapped into the OBD, how did you do that? Is it part of the Maestro RR kit? On the Garmin Nav, do you have to pay for updates?
Yes theres a plug in adapter, in the Meastro harness for the radio and obd2 port. Yes, garmin updates cost!

You can either Plug in the connector to the obd2 port, as I did. Or like others, and splice/tap into the 2 wires. I didnt want to touch the oem wiring, so I used the connector!

You can also get a aftermarket HU now, with built in Android Auto, and Carplay. So youll plug your smartphone into the HU, and use it for Nav. Then you wont need a HU with Garmin or built in Nav software. Which will be a little cheaper priced.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 F-150 XLT with Sirius and Sync - upgrade-20150812_162714.jpg  

Last edited by Toddman38; 12-07-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by densher1
Okay. After reading so many posts and getting lost in the woods, I decided to shoot this flare and see if someone can guide me to the right place.

I have a 2012 F-150 XLT Screw with factory Sirius and Sync. I made the (unwise) decision to install the Carshow OEM (Rosen) nav system which was a 'plug and play' to the existing radio unit. I've had plenty of issues with the Nav system and the SD card. I could go into a ranting detail but I will leave it at that.

I am thinking now of upgrading to an OEM Nav receiver like the Pioneer AVIC or similar. Research there leads me into more confusion. The radios say they are Sirius-XM compatible but I would need an external module. Does my current OEM radio have an Sirius/XM module internal or external? How would I know? If external, why can't I just use it?

Now for the Sync part. I didn't really use the Sync that much and now I have to pay a subscription. The new units come with Bluetooth and all kinds of App integrations. So, why do I need to worry about Sync? Or is it just easier to integrate it all anyway? Some OEM (Pioneer and Kenwood models) say they can display the vehicle info such as gauges and climate control. Is that true for the 2012 version of Sync?

Okay. That's about enough for now. I am going to California for a few days and I am going to stop at the Rosen tech center and see what they can do to fix my SD card - for the third time. If I can get it to work, I will still replace it all but try and sell the other system on ebay (or here on F-150 forum). Oh yeah, can I sell my old radio receiver when I remove and replace it? I want to recoup some of my lost investment.

Thanks folks.
Dennis
I responded to your post in the other thread, actually re-posted information I had put in that same thread 1 page prior.
I'm not sure what all your issues are, but if it's what you describe in the other post then I'm pretty sure the rebuild software will work just fine. I've done it 3 times now in 4 years of ownership, it's never had a problem recovering.

I'm not sure what you mean by paying for sync to work. There are certainly features of sync you can pay for (like business 411, directions, etc.,) but none of that prevents the native sync system from working. It's still fully capable of all the voice commands and Bluetooth interaction. I'd advise you to read this site here to get a better understanding of what the additional services could be:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...-overview.html

As for add on and newer capabilities - the Rosen unit falls pretty short of that. To be fair, it was pretty good for the time it was introduced given baseline XLT sync display bar. And there really aren't many systems that truly look as OEM as the Rosen unit; if you were concerned about resale.

If you haven't tried the software rebuild for your card then you really should. I can't put my finger on why it happens, but the software will corrupt for whatever reason. It's only happened a few times to me and it's not that big of deal. If Rosen rebuilds the card without you learning it, you're probably going to have to deal with it again at some point.