Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2011 FX4 Screw w/ Nav Replacing Factory Sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Executive Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 2011 FX4 Screw w/ Nav Replacing Factory Sub

Hello all!

I am looking for some help. I am looking into changing out my whole factory sony sub box and amp without any major changes. I am afraid of my beautiful truck being all "chopped up" by an Electronics Installation place that doesnt know what they are doing.

My two choices I thought of:

1. Can I connect a powered sub (one that has the enclosure, sub and amp already all together) to my factory plug in where I disconnected the Sony Factory Sub and box!?

One of these I am talking about:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_51000/P...rs.html?tp=114

Are there any subs that have plug-ins where I can connect one of these aka one that doesnt have RCA plug-ins on the powered subwoofer.

2. Take out my Sony 8" sub and repalce it with a better 8" Sub using the factory Sony sub box and amp. With also the possibility of adding polyfill to the box.

Replacing with one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Com...5brank6%5d8%22

I hope this all makes sense to everyone. If not let me know and I will try to better explain myself. I greatly, greatly appreciate all of the kind thoughts and help ahead of time!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Honestlly, without replacing the factory amp you wont tell a "huge" difference in overall sound with just changing woofers.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

First off I would abandon the idea of replacing the sub in the factory box. You will only compensate for one issue if you do that. You will replace a sub par speaker with a good one, but continue to feed it junky power. The factory sub is DVC and I'd be surprised if it has more than 60 watts running to it.

That being said your first option is closer to what you're wanting to do. I installed two of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...nce-B-8PT.html

I removed the factory sub, cut the four wires running to it right at the sub, and wired up the new subs with power wires and an lc2i. Very simple, very clean, world of difference. I like tight bass fit for rock and alternative music. So it ended up perfect for me.

Search a few threads and you'll get some good info. I'll be honest, MOST people on the forum go with bug dual 10/12 underseat setups but that wasn't for me. I put my powered subs behind the rear seat and you literally don't know they are there, until they hit.

Good luck. It's doable and easy. Best part is with four crimped wired I am back to factory within a half hour.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Executive Member

Originally Posted by etazeta
First off I would abandon the idea of replacing the sub in the factory box. You will only compensate for one issue if you do that. You will replace a sub par speaker with a good one, but continue to feed it junky power. The factory sub is DVC and I'd be surprised if it has more than 60 watts running to it.

That being said your first option is closer to what you're wanting to do. I installed two of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...nce-B-8PT.html

I removed the factory sub, cut the four wires running to it right at the sub, and wired up the new subs with power wires and an lc2i. Very simple, very clean, world of difference. I like tight bass fit for rock and alternative music. So it ended up perfect for me.

Search a few threads and you'll get some good info. I'll be honest, MOST people on the forum go with bug dual 10/12 underseat setups but that wasn't for me. I put my powered subs behind the rear seat and you literally don't know they are there, until they hit.

Good luck. It's doable and easy. Best part is with four crimped wired I am back to factory within a half hour.
Could you possibly go into greater detail on how you hooked up the powered subs with factory wiring! I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Executive Member

Bump!

Anyone have experience with using the Infinty BassLink to replace the Factory Sony Subwoofer?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Executive Member

I have not been able to find a replacement sub box or powered sub or enclosure with a sub already in it to fit in the space where the factory sub is and not having to replace the factory floor mats-I would like to keep these...and I do not want to lose the space on the rear driver side of the truck! Anyone make a custom box for that area yet or found something else that fits there perfectly? Let me know! It would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am currently in the process of swapping out the sub with a jl audio mico sub, its fits great under the seat . 300 /1 jl audio amp door speakers and a 4 channel jl audio amp
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Executive Member

Originally Posted by gonzo36
i am currently in the process of swapping out the sub with a jl audio mico sub, its fits great under the seat . 300 /1 jl audio amp door speakers and a 4 channel jl audio amp
Are you using the stock box? If not what did u go with for a box? What is the model of the sub? Do u have pics?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney8730
Could you possibly go into greater detail on how you hooked up the powered subs with factory wiring! I would greatly appreciate it!!!
There are four speaker wires running into the factory sub. It's dual voice coil so there are two channels. I removed the sub, and cut those four wires. Then ran the wires into the left and right channels of an Audiocontrol lc2i. That provides RCA output to the amp or powered sub of your choice. The signal coming into the sub does contain some wattage but the lc2i handles up to 400 watts input I believe. Then I bought the Audiocontrol bass **** and that way I am controlling both my powered subs with one ****.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Executive Member

Originally Posted by etazeta

There are four speaker wires running into the factory sub. It's dual voice coil so there are two channels. I removed the sub, and cut those four wires. Then ran the wires into the left and right channels of an Audiocontrol lc2i. That provides RCA output to the amp or powered sub of your choice. The signal coming into the sub does contain some wattage but the lc2i handles up to 400 watts input I believe. Then I bought the Audiocontrol bass **** and that way I am controlling both my powered subs with one ****.
Thank you very much for the information sir! Did you just use any two wires to run it into the left and right side of the audiocontrol lc2i?!

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 Screw w/ Nav Replacing Factory Sub