Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2011 F150 Retain Sync w/Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 F150 Retain Sync w/Aftermarket Radio

Hey all,

I have a nice Kenwood Excelon NAV radio that I purchased for my old truck, I want to install it in my new '11 F150, but I'm not sure on which wire harness module to purchase...

I would like to retain the Sync system, however only if I can retain it using the OEM screen on the dash, I know PAC has a module MS-FRD1 that will retain sync, but it comes with a screen, Does anyone know if I can not use their screen since there is already the built in OEM screen on the dash? or will it only work on their screen?

Are there any other companies that make a wire harness that will retain sync but use the factory screen?

My aftermarket nav system has built in bluetooth, but it's not as clear as the sync bluetooth for making phone calls that is the main reason I want to keep the sync system.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the oem dash screen just replaces the screen that comes with the kit, simple plug in.
using the pac allows u to use sync..and when calls come in just overrides the aftermarket HU so ur dash will still display sync functions such as call, and music artists when using sync jacks. ur new HU will use the aux port for this
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I was just in a very busy well respected shop here in the area and was asking about SYNC and aftermarket.

I was looking at either a Kenwood 6990 or an Alpine 120 I think it was, on winter clearance. Their installer said that I would lose SYNC as there was not an enabling 'box' to keep it working, unlike sirus/xm and the steering wheel controls.

He was saying you have to decide if a better head unit is worth the loss of SYNC. Also that SYNC was contained in the head unit on my 2011.

???
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
I was just in a very busy well respected shop here in the area and was asking about SYNC and aftermarket.

I was looking at either a Kenwood 6990 or an Alpine 120 I think it was, on winter clearance. Their installer said that I would lose SYNC as there was not an enabling 'box' to keep it working, unlike sirus/xm and the steering wheel controls.

He was saying you have to decide if a better head unit is worth the loss of SYNC. Also that SYNC was contained in the head unit on my 2011.

???
SYNC is not in the head unit. Some folks don't get the FRD-1 and just use bluetooth etc on the new head unit. I myself got the FRD-1 and a PAC steering wheel control that plugs into the FRD-1 without any additional wiring and couldn't be happier. And you don't need to use the small display that comes with the FRD-1. Everything shows up on the small screen where the temp and compass is.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
SYNC is not in the head unit. Some folks don't get the FRD-1 and just use bluetooth etc on the new head unit. I myself got the FRD-1 and a PAC steering wheel control that plugs into the FRD-1 without any additional wiring and couldn't be happier. And you don't need to use the small display that comes with the FRD-1. Everything shows up on the small screen where the temp and compass is.
I too used this combo and am very happy with it. It works just like stock and I am impressed to see that there are no glitches.

As Wyo said, the info still comes up on the Sync screen and the small screen I just threw in the glove box. The only need for the small screen would be for some advanced settings that are pretty much one and done like setting up a new phone.

DDA, find a new shop! If they are not up on the info of the most popular truck in history, or what anyone can learn by visiting crutchfield on a computer...just imagine the great work they will do on your truck.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by troutspinner
I too used this combo and am very happy with it. It works just like stock and I am impressed to see that there are no glitches.

As Wyo said, the info still comes up on the Sync screen and the small screen I just threw in the glove box. The only need for the small screen would be for some advanced settings that are pretty much one and done like setting up a new phone.

DDA, find a new shop! If they are not up on the info of the most popular truck in history, or what anyone can learn by visiting crutchfield on a computer...just imagine the great work they will do on your truck.
He said they hadn't done an 09+ w/ sync yet. Surprised me.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome info to hear!

So the OEM screen actually just plugs into the PAC module? FINALLY good engineering!!

So what about adding a new phone? Can it be done with out the add on screen?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheChad
That's awesome info to hear!

So the OEM screen actually just plugs into the PAC module? FINALLY good engineering!!

So what about adding a new phone? Can it be done with out the add on screen?

Thanks,

-TheChad
Yes you can use the steering wheel controls to add a phone and use the factory screen
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

He7 does y'all Bluetooth HU use the sync mic? Or did y'all install the aftermarket
Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by FiveOhFuzzF150
He7 does y'all Bluetooth HU use the sync mic? Or did y'all install the aftermarket
If you use the FRD-1 harness you will use the SYNC bluetooth and microphone.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Retain Sync w/Aftermarket Radio