Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2010 Speaker/Amp/Processor Install Questions

Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2010 Speaker/Amp/Processor Install Questions

Purchased 2 sets of JL Audio 5x7s, JL Audio 4-Channel Amp and Kicker Sound Processor. Will be doing a sub later but would like to know what I should expect to pay for the install. local Car Toys wanted $400-$500 just for the install. Another question was installer said I should not replace rear speakers and use the 2 extra channels to power a sub. If I don't replace the rear speaker won't they sound distorted when everything else is amped? Very nervous about getting ripped off and damaging the vehicle during the install. Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I actually like his suggestion, his install price is horrendous though. Normal stereo music should sound like its coming from in front of you, so minimal rear fill is preferred. You can still replace the rear speakers with the ones you bought if you can't return them. Just fade the headunit to the front until the desired fill level is obtained with minimal distortion. If you don't have the stock Sony system, you may want to grab some inline high pass crossovers for the rear speakers to minimize distortion.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Spoke with another installer and he told me not to waste my money on the sound processor especially If I'm thinking of a new head unit in the future. He said i can also just replace the speakers and the head should have no problem powering the speakers. Unfortunately the online site I purchased from wants a 10% restock fee plus shipping costs to send back. Totally confused now.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 PM

Do you have the Sony system? What Kicker processor did you buy and how much?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Plain jane stock that's why I need to upgrade. Had the Infinity system in my last vehicle and the stock Ford system just plain sucks. The Kicker is ZX10SUM8. Here's the specs:Summin' It All Up
Complete integration of aftermarket audio products into a vehicles factory radio system has never been so easy...or sounded so good. The Kicker 10ZXSUM8 is a summing interface that provides a well-balanced signal to aftermarket amplifiers without the need to remove your factory radio. What makes the ZXSUM8 a top contender? Not only does this allow aftermarket integration with a factory radio, but it sums and balances multiple signal types of various frequencies into one full-bandwidth signal. This means your aftermarket amplifiers receive the entire audio spectrum to use as they see fit, which translates into amazing clarity and earth shaking bass. Four stereo speaker-level inputs and four line-level stereo RCA outputs completes the conversion from factory drab to aftermarket fab.

Keeping with the ever changing technology trend the ZXSUM8 has an integrated AUX RCA input so you can connect a plethora of portable devices from MP3 players to cell phones. This means you’re no longer stuck listening to cassette tapes, CDs or the radio. As if that convenience wasn’t enough, the SUM8 has a multi-function remove control that manages the aux-input and channel-4 output to separately adjust bass and auxiliary levels on the fly.

Integrate Aftermarket Audio in your Factory System!
Line Out Converter For OEM Integration
Complete integration of aftermarket audio products into a vehicles OEM system
Makes it simple to install aftermarket car audio components in a factory system
Installed between the factory stereo and the aftermarket amplifier
Sums and balances multiple signals coming from the factory stereo
Produces a full-bandwidth, line-level output signal
Full range RCA outputs allow the amplifier to play across the entire musical spectrum
Built-in auxiliary input allows the connection of a portable device
Four stereo speaker-level inputs connect the factory speaker leads
Four line-level stereo RCA outputs connect to the aftermarket amplifier
One single stereo RCA aux-input on the Sum8
Balance levels from multiple speaker-level sources
Sums up to four speaker-level stereo pairs down to a single stereo RCA low-level output
Each stereo channel is capable of both summing and line-output conversion
Integrates portable media direct to your amp using aux-in and level control
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's warranty
Product Specifications:
Max Voltage In: 40V RMS
Max Aux-In Voltage: 40V RMS
Max Voltage Out (Chan. 1–3): 9V RMS
Max Voltage Out (Chan. 4): 6V RMS
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (Chan. 1–3): 90dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (Chan. 4): 90dB
Remote Attenuation Range: 0dB to -27dB
Frequency Response: 20–22,000 Hz
Gain Range (Chan. 1-4): -30dB to +4dB
Gain Range (Aux-In): -65dB to +18dB
Fuse: 2 Amps
Dimensions: 5-3/4"D x 10-1/2"W x 1-3/8"H
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM

You don't need the summing capabilities, but you can still use the LOC function. You can buy a cheap LOC for like $10, though. I'd consider selling it local, should be able to get $100 or so since it's NIB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Speaker/Amp/Processor Install Questions