Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2010 SCrew audio info request

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 SCrew audio info request

Alright, after 3 years. I'm finally sick of the stock audio in my truck. Crappy quality base, low max volume, poor sound quality overall has driven me to looking into a new sound system.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some general information on what I'm going to need and how much I'm looking at spending? (I'm guessing all 4 speakers replaced, amp, sub, etc). Can I make my stock head unit work or am I going to have to get something new and custom fit it? My knowledge on the subject is limited. I'm not looking to make it the best, hardest hitting system out there. Just something economical that sounds better than what I have now.

inb4 "Search it, noob".... I'm not looking for specifics. I'm just looking for friendly advice on where I should start looking and what exactly I'll need so I can see if this is a project I can afford responsibly.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck started with a single disc sync system, and I have kept the headunit. I replaced all four door speakers first with rockford fosgate 6x8s and the mids and highs were a lot better, but the bass was still bad. I went back and added 2 10" rockford fosgate shallow mount subs in an under seat box and used an older 400 watt sony amp I had sitting around to power the subs only. You can build a much better system with more money but this is 100% better than how it came stock. I have thought about adding an aftermarket headunit so that I could add a backup cam but the sound the stock unit produces is good enough for my ears.

Last edited by whelch1; 08-09-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by whelch1
My truck started with a single disc sync system, and I have kept the headunit. I replaced all four door speakers first with rockford fosgate 6x8s and the mids and highs were a lot better, but the bass was still bad. I went back and added 2 10" rockford fosgate shallow mount subs in an under seat box and used an older 400 watt sony amp I had sitting around to power the subs only. You can build a much better system with more money but this is 100% better than how it came stock. I have thought about adding an aftermarket headunit so that I could add a backup cam but the sound the stock unit produces is good enough for my ears.
Excellent, just the kind of info I'm looking for. 2 10"s is what I was going to do, I just had no idea how much wattage an amp would need to power those. Thanks so much, any other knowledge welcome.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by larwood91
Excellent, just the kind of info I'm looking for. 2 10"s is what I was going to do, I just had no idea how much wattage an amp would need to power those. Thanks so much, any other knowledge welcome.
I have 1 - 10" and it is powered by an Alpine amp I bought off EBay. 300 watts peak. I have $100 into bought the amp and Kenwood sub. More bass than I need
Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab

I have 1 - 10" and it is powered by an Alpine amp I bought off EBay. 300 watts peak. I have $100 into bought the amp and Kenwood sub. More bass than I need
Yeah honestly all I went in for was 1 but the place I went to had boxes made up for 2 subs. By going with 2 subs they ended up installing my amp under the passenger seat instead of the back seat like I originally planned. I ended up with a box sprayed in linex which I would recommend checking out. It looks a lot better than the gray speaker box carpet and it is almost impossible to tear up.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Canuck with a truck

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm in the middle of my low budget audio upgrade in my 08. I started with just upgrading my speakers with Kenwood 6"x8" 3 way speakers which was a decent improvement. Then next i added a Pioneer avh-2400bt HU with a backup camera which helped out a lot more in the audio department. I just received my new Sound Ordnance 8" powered sub which should be installed tomorrow. In total i should be in for under $700 for this system and will blow my moms 2010 Cadillac's 10 speaker Bose system out of the water.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Went to my local shop today to get a quote on the system. $885 is what I was quoted... 2x 10"PowerBass subs. Pioneer TSD6802 in the front door, shallow mount box, PowerBass 800w amp and the wiring kit installed. Seems like I could find a better deal than that...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 SCrew audio info request