Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2010 F-150 Screw Sound System. Questions on Aftermarket equipment

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2010 F-150 Screw Sound System. Questions on Aftermarket equipment

Okay I have read through 15 pages of this sub forum and I still have some questions.

I have a 2010 Screw F-150 without nav and with Sync. I do not have the sony upgrade either. I want to keep the stock HU for multiple reasons. I am not a huge audiophile, I just need something better than the stock.

I currently have some older equipment from my 4Runner I kept when I traded the vehicle in. I have this sub:
Amazon Amazon
and this amp: http://www.soundstormlab.com/support/index.php?dload=Download&_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=164.

Using this write up http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...head-unit.html, I know I will need this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle and this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nics+MX-1.html or maybe one of these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...che+SLC-4.html

My questions are regarding new speakers and my current amp. I want a good, lower price component setup. I see a lot of people recommending these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...yval+V65C.html or http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+ZXi+5.2C.html. But according to their websites, neither of these fit the f-150. Will these fit with some adapter or something? If not, what other price to performance ratio for component speakers do you recommend? Do I also put components in front and back? Or do separate tweeters only go up front and standard speakers in the back?

Lastly, taking a look at the pdf for my older amp, do you think I could use this still to power the 4 speakers (front and back) and get decent enough performance out of the speakers? Obviously I couldnt use it for a sub...I might add a sub later if I am not happy with the bass output after I install the new speakers.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which model# is your amp several are listed in that manual. You probably wont need the LOC since your amp has high level inputs. (unless you have the 5 channel amp) Just take the speaker wires from Metra BT 5520 straight to the high level inputs on your amp. You might try some 6x8 components so you dont have to deal with an adapter, it might be worth a few extra bucks rather than trying to customize an adapter.
btw I have the same stereo setup as you and the Metra BT 5520 thread you refer to worked like a charm aside for the remot amp turn on wire on the Metra harness connects to an empty slot on the stock harness. I ended up tapping into one of the fuses that has the shut off delay. Forgot the fuse number Ill get it for you if you need it.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 AM

I have the 250.4 version. So, I just need the Metra wire adapter and connect it straight to the amp?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metra BT-5520

Please let me know for sure whether or not the Metra BT-5520 harness really works. I have the same factory audio set up you do (2010 s-crew with sync, without nav, without sony) and i want to add an amp and sub. But i want to make sure that i don't lose any functions of the radio or sync or bluetooth. Plus i would really rather not sut into the factory harness. This is pretty much the only question i have left before starting my install. And the only reason i ask is because the website i saw the Metra BT-5520 on said nothing about an 09-10 F-150. So, i just wanna be as sure as possible before ripping into my truck i have only had for a week. But this is BY FAR the best, most informative post or article of any kind i have seen thus far for my truck. Thanx a ton!

Last edited by scull122; 10-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by shaxs
I have the 250.4 version. So, I just need the Metra wire adapter and connect it straight to the amp?
Thats correct, since your amp has the High Level Inputs you do not need the Line Out Converter (LOC) just run the speaker wires straight to the High Level Inputs on your amp.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by scull122
Please let me know for sure whether or not the Metra BT-5520 harness really works. I have the same factory audio set up you do (2010 s-crew with sync, without nav, without sony) and i want to add an amp and sub. But i want to make sure that i don't lose any functions of the radio or sync or bluetooth. Plus i would really rather not sut into the factory harness. This is pretty much the only question i have left before starting my install. And the only reason i ask is because the website i saw the Metra BT-5520 on said nothing about an 09-10 F-150. So, i just wanna be as sure as possible before ripping into my truck i have only had for a week. But this is BY FAR the best, most informative post or article of any kind i have seen thus far for my truck. Thanx a ton!
The Metra BT-5520 Absolutely works, I've done it. You wont lose any of the stereo functions this harness is just an inline harness that will allow you to cut the speaker wires without tapping into the factory harness.
follow the directions on the link below, this guy did an excellent write up.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...head-unit.html
Old 10-19-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Sorry I am such a newb when it comes car audio (ask me a computer questions and I can tell you just about anything), but can I "bridge" another 2 channel amp to this 4 channel to add my sub to the system? I dont believe I can have 4 speakers and the sub running off my 4 channel correct?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Also, I dont know the answer to this, but do the 2010 f-150s come with spacers already design for tweeters or will I need to cut holes somewhere?

Lastly, are you supposed to use components for all 4 speakers or just for the fronts?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM

will 2 10 inch bazookas fit in the truck?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:06 AM

Thanx F150Lasso and shaxs. I had read through that post a few days ago but it said he has a base radio and i wasn't sure if that meant he did or didn't have sync. I'm guessing now that he does. I think i'm just about ready for my audio upgrade. I now have a list of supplies and a plan of attack! Now to gather the materials. Can't wait for some kick *** sound in my new kick *** truck. (i know that sounds kinda gay but i've never been so happy with a vehicle as i am with this one so hopefully i can be forgiven)

Last edited by scull122; 10-20-2010 at 05:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F-150 Screw Sound System. Questions on Aftermarket equipment