Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2009 headunit/ sub upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM
PLATINUM

Received 241 Likes on 144 Posts

Default 2009 headunit/ sub upgrade...

Bought a double din kenwood deck to go in my 09 f-150, currently I have the factory 6 disc with the sony audio, sync and steering wheel controls. I am wanting to know what is the best way to get this done, and keep it as clean as possible. I used a metro kit on my last one, and it worked ok, but wanting to see if there is any better option to retain the sync features, and controls on the wheel? I am also wanting to remove my factory sub and add a couple of jl w1s. Help me out on my shopping list.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by dykzeulb
Bought a double din kenwood deck to go in my 09 f-150, currently I have the factory 6 disc with the sony audio, sync and steering wheel controls. I am wanting to know what is the best way to get this done, and keep it as clean as possible. I used a metro kit on my last one, and it worked ok, but wanting to see if there is any better option to retain the sync features, and controls on the wheel? I am also wanting to remove my factory sub and add a couple of jl w1s. Help me out on my shopping list.
I would use a Scosche kit. They fit better. You could use a Maestro for SYNC and SWC. Or PAC.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SWC

I have used both the Maestro and Axxess SWC adapters and my recommendation is the Axxess. I have installed on Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac vehicles and had no issues. Installation and programming are a breeze. Will not say the Maestro is a bad product but it took some time to program to retain factory SWC's.

Are you using any websites for purchasing the additional hardware?

If it is alright to post a link to a site, please let me know. Every forum views links to other sites differently.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM
PLATINUM

Received 241 Likes on 144 Posts

I would love to hear where the best deal can be had, right now it looks like I am spending an easy 300 on install gear... which sucks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:41 PM

I have used crutchfield.com in the past and had great experiences each time when ordering and even the support afterward. If you haven't already, give them a check and see if it might be a fit for what you are looking to spend.

I don't work for them, but being a DIY installer I appreciate their level of support offered after the sale.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by dykzeulb
I would love to hear where the best deal can be had, right now it looks like I am spending an easy 300 on install gear... which sucks
Yes they are expensive. That is why I said Maestro. I think it is one unit that can do what you want. Axxess is 2 harnesses.
The following users liked this post:
12V Guy (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by thallendorff
I have used both the Maestro and Axxess SWC adapters and my recommendation is the Axxess. I have installed on Ford, Chevy, and Pontiac vehicles and had no issues. Installation and programming are a breeze. Will not say the Maestro is a bad product but it took some time to program to retain factory SWC's.

Are you using any websites for purchasing the additional hardware?

If it is alright to post a link to a site, please let me know. Every forum views links to other sites differently.

Thanks,
Tom

He wants to retain Sync so he will either need the Maestro RR (which does both SWC and Sync) or the Axxess ASWC1 and the ADBOX1 or 2 (not sure which).

Would love to hear what you think we could improve on in our programming of Maestro SW.

Cheers,
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
He wants to retain Sync so he will either need the Maestro RR (which does both SWC and Sync) or the Axxess ASWC1 and the ADBOX1 or 2 (not sure which).

Would love to hear what you think we could improve on in our programming of Maestro SW.

Cheers,
Good afternoon 12V,

I hope it was not taken that the Maestro product is bad or defective, but just that my experience with the "other" was easier and quicker, see below.

My initial experience (couple years ago) with iDatalink was with my Chevy Impala. We redid the factory stereo with an aftermarket system and used the Maestro adapter. The difficulty we had in programming was related to flashing the device. Had received the device and for reason it was not accepting any flash commands. Returned the device and received new one from iDatalink. This device accepted flash but was not reading the correct SWC's when they were pressed on steering wheel. After flashing/reflashing and few hours on support we were able to get it working.

More recently installed on a Pontiac Grand Am and this was much smoother. Still the added steps of flashing the adapter, but no deal breaker. In this case it didn't retain some of the factory features. I can find out what it was that didn't work, but all-in-all he was happy with the way it worked. (Want to say it didn't pick up the phone, but would hang up... need to confirm)

I used the Axxess on my wife's car, 04' Grand Prix. What I liked about this setup was that it was simply making the connections and starting the car up so it could sync up to the controls. I think I held the Vol Up button in for 10 seconds and it learned the commands. After my experience with this I installed on a Ford and had similar experience where it learned the controls that quickly.

12V, I respect your product as it did work in the end for my past vehicle and a friends. I hope this helps and I did look at your site again and saw that some things have been updated since I last looked at it for a Ford truck. The OP definitely has options and I believe he will be fully satisfied with his choice either way. Having said that, with a community such as F150forum.com and a Vendor such as yourself actively watching the threads he may be wise to go through you as it appears you care what people think and have experienced.

For reference, I am not a mechanic or audio installer by trade. DIY'er that has installed a "few" systems for friends, family, and work vehicles. I believe support after the purchase goes a long way if it is consistent.

Tom

Quick Reply: 2009 headunit/ sub upgrade...