Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2009 F150, want simple sub set up, got questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2009 F150, want simple sub set up, got questions

I want to leave the stock H/U in the truck, but wanted to add a little thump to the sound.

I want to add a couple of 10" subs....my questions are below:

1) is there a stock amp? If so, where is it located and if I wanted to add an amp for the woofers, can I leave the stocker? Do I need to remove it?

2) how can I tie the after market amp to the stock H/U? Is there an input behind the H/U?

3) Anything else I need to know before I take on this project???

I was thinking of either putting the subs below the back seat or behind it...not sure which is more feasible....any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by velo; 08-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

If you have the standard HU there is no amp or RCA outputs. Many here install the PAC AOEM FRD24 for input to their amp. Search and you will find information on the PAC.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
If you have the standard HU there is no amp or RCA outputs. Many here install the PAC AOEM FRD24 for input to their amp. Search and you will find information on the PAC.

i appreciate this thread, however how i need to figure out where i'm going to use Y connectors. i want to install a 4 and a mono block amp so i need 6 rca's.

i guess i could just Y connect the front channels because you never really faded front and rear anyways. i want the mono block to be a stand alone and not really be faded because i want to run a base **** via rca's.

suggestions?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 AM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by velo
I want to leave the stock H/U in the truck, but wanted to add a little thump to the sound.

I want to add a couple of 10" subs....my questions are below:

1) is there a stock amp? If so, where is it located and if I wanted to add an amp for the woofers, can I leave the stocker? Do I need to remove it?

2) how can I tie the after market amp to the stock H/U? Is there an input behind the H/U?

3) Anything else I need to know before I take on this project???

I was thinking of either putting the subs below the back seat or behind it...not sure which is more feasible....any input would be greatly appreciated!

Go with two sound ordnance or kicker 8" powered subs, then throw them behind the rear seat. Also a good investment would be an audiocontrol lc2i for excellent bass when you want to crank it!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by xoliex
i appreciate this thread, however how i need to figure out where i'm going to use Y connectors. i want to install a 4 and a mono block amp so i need 6 rca's.

i guess i could just Y connect the front channels because you never really faded front and rear anyways. i want the mono block to be a stand alone and not really be faded because i want to run a base **** via rca's.

suggestions?
Use the Y cables at the amps. Run 2 RCA to amp location then split one set.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
'11 FX4 SCREW 5.ohh!

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallyman89
Use the Y cables at the amps. Run 2 RCA to amp location then split one set.
Or find an amp that has RCA outs. I just ordered a Sound Ordnance M-4075 that has RCA outs so you can daisy chain another amp off the rear signal. I also picked up a Sound Ordnance B-8PT to help fill in the low end (plus it came with a amp wiring kit).

I'm going to use a PAC AOEM FRD24 to get RCA's out from the factory HU, plus it has a remote wire built in.

The 4 channel amp will power some Kenwood 6x8's I all ready installed in the 4 doors.

I also ended up ordering some RAAMmat BXT II, and closed cell foam, to dampen/deaden the exterior noise.

I'm hoping that the BXT will be in by next weekend (labor day), so I can do it all at once over the long weekend.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxedoblack11

Go with two sound ordnance or kicker 8" powered subs, then throw them behind the rear seat. Also a good investment would be an audiocontrol lc2i for excellent bass when you want to crank it!
This is what I'm doing as well. I do not understand where/how the LC2i fits into the system. Can you explain more? Thanks for your info and help!

Last edited by Theocoog; 08-23-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Fords HU will roll off bass at higher volumes to protect the speakers. The LC2i and other sound processors are able to fill that gap so when you crank the volume you have all the bass you want.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Colorado

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, don't mean to jack the thread, but I have a similar question:

I've got an LC6i to solve that problem...but it's not really a sound processor is it? Isn't it just a line out converter? The other issue is it only accepts speaker level inputs, not the RCA's that the PAC FRD 24 outputs from the head unit. Is the LC6i what I need or am I barking up the wrong tree here.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will be getting this and installing it as soon as it get it. however it looks like it has a mini line driver in it. now i have an old 2 channel line driver that i have that i might ant to use to boost up the voltage in the RCA's. ideally you get 3-4 volts from them but people do get good results not using line drivers and only get 1.3 volts from their HU (i had good results with 1.3 volt rca outputs before.

now with this adapter who knows what voltage u r getting out of them. and you are 1/2'ing it if i will be splitting it to run to a 4 channel and a mono block amp.

will it be worth it to use a line driver? i only have 1 so i can just use splitters if i want to use it for the 4 channel. i can just use one rca behind the deck to this line driver then split out the output end of the line driver.

i was thinking if its worth it, then i'll buy another 2 channel for the sub.

the reason i would use these is because i am a believer of using the MIN gain as possible. my 2006 f150 had its best tuning and settings when i was at 80 percent volume and the volume and clarity was crystal clear and i set the gains at 100% volume.

what u guys thinks?

Quick Reply: 2009 F150, want simple sub set up, got questions