Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2007 F150 SCREW radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2007 F150 SCREW radio upgrade

I am thinking about replacing my factory 6 disk changer now that the CD funcition has died. This is what I am looking at. Any feedback feedback on which steering wheel controls adapter is better? Is this head unit a good option?

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130170D....html?tp=20217

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130170D....html?tp=20217
Old 03-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Looks like my first link doesn't take you to the comparison between accessories I had tried to show. They show three different adapters for steering wheel controls, I am wondering if one option is better than the others.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by allisnut
Looks like my first link doesn't take you to the comparison between accessories I had tried to show. They show three different adapters for steering wheel controls, I am wondering if one option is better than the others.

Thanks,

Adam
I like the Axxess. It programs itsself
The following users liked this post:
allisnut (03-09-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 AM

Project update - I placed an order for a Pioneer AVH-270BT, Axxess steering wheel controls adapter, Metra Mount, Metra wiring harness adapter, and Metra antenna adapter. I couldn't pass up the $80 savings, so i ordered from caraudiogiants.com instead of crutchfield. I did call crutchfield and see if they could close the gap any, and they couldn't.

Question of the day - is it worth the $10 to buy the crutchfield instructions that come free with their orders?

The radio should be at the house on Wednesday, and the back up camera should be on the slow boat from China, hopefully here by the end of the month.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by allisnut
Project update - I placed an order for a Pioneer AVH-270BT, Axxess steering wheel controls adapter, Metra Mount, Metra wiring harness adapter, and Metra antenna adapter. I couldn't pass up the $80 savings, so i ordered from caraudiogiants.com instead of crutchfield. I did call crutchfield and see if they could close the gap any, and they couldn't.

Question of the day - is it worth the $10 to buy the crutchfield instructions that come free with their orders?

The radio should be at the house on Wednesday, and the back up camera should be on the slow boat from China, hopefully here by the end of the month.
Probably no need to order. Between this forum and the instructions that come with your parts you should have plenty of info/help
allisnut (03-16-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 PM

Well the good news is that my radio order arrived today, the bad news is that car audio giants left out the wiring harness. After only 9 minutes on hold on my second attempt, I got a guy on the line and in 30 seconds he was agreeing to mail me the harness.

So far, I'd say that their prices are good, the order picking accuracy is poor, and their customer service is decent. If I have technical questions I will come here instead of calling them!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Since I was shorted the harness and couldn't work on the radio today, my son & I started on the camera. I got it installed in the tailgate, and picked up power and ground at the wiring harness at the rear of the truck. I tried to keep the video cable tied to the wiring harness, finally got past the fuel tank and spring mount, and over to the outside of the frame rail. Ran out of daylight when I was under the cab, so I rolled it up and tied it off for the night. I plan to go through the grommet with the wiring harness. It looks like the video cable is going to come up a few feet short. An RCA extension should work, right? I'll try to pick one up at radio shack. Hopefully the wiring harness will show up Monday as scheudled.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 PM

had some success tonight, also have a few questions.

I got the harnesses soldiered together and installed the radio. Everything appears to work so far, including the back up camera. The camera does need to be aligned, but I got an image, so I call that a win.

Radio works:

I have not hooked up the steering wheel controls. Where is the harness connector that the instructions are telling me to connect to? I'm supposed to take the green / white wire from the access wiring harness to pin 18 on the connector and ground pin 19 on the same connector. Is this the smaller connector at the back of the stock radio?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Call axcess and they will tell you the color of the wire
allisnut (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Frito Bandito

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should have a couple wires coming out of the axxess, get some of these

Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connector, 20-22 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connector, 20-22 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive

and tap into the stock pin 18, 19 wires on the big harness. Here is a photo to help out, you can also use pin 6 for your reverse sensor wire

allisnut (03-24-2015)

Quick Reply: 2007 F150 SCREW radio upgrade