Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade

Hi y'all! I want to upgrade the stock speakers on my '07 Lariat Supercrew and I wanted to know what you guys currently have and if you have any suggestions as I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to speakers, subs, tweeters, amps, etc. I am looking at the Rockfords P1683 (or something similar) since they have good reviews and there is a sale of BOGO 50% off from Crutchfield and comes with everything I need to install them myself. I want to spend on a decent setup but don't wish to go over $500. Luckily, I live near Tijuana and Mexicali and can head down there and purchase brand new parts (1 USD is about $16 pesos) haha I've been saving money that way. I already have a Sony aftermarket head unit that I installed myself (thus giving me the confidence to do more myself) and I didn't mess anything up haha. I want to add tweeters since my truck has the enclosures and ,eventually, a subwoofer underneath the rear seat as well but I don't know if I trust myself to mess with all those wires so I might skip it and take that to the shop as I am more of a body work/small mechanical kind of guy haha. I am pretty easy on the bass and I listen to my music just for my hearing pleasure and not loud enough for everyone else to hear haha here are a few basic questions I have:

2-way vs 3-way speakers, what would work more for a casual listener like me? what is the biggest difference?

Since I want to add tweeters, do I need to purchase a component system? If so, are the component speakers more difficult to install?

What is a good subwoofer enclosure for the rear seat? Cruchtfield has some that are $700+ and I know I wont convince myself that is worth it so I am going to look online and ask some shops.

Also, do I need to throw in an amp?

I am sorry if these are "baby" questions for some of you. I know I could head over to a shop, hand over the money and they'll do it all but that's not fun I have done research but everyone has different opinions on what works best and what is needed so I thought I would ask you guys since we share the same trucks haha any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade-img_20150817_181928259_hdr.jpg   2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade-img_20150817_181957082.jpg   2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade-img_20150817_182338165.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I just replaced F&R door speakers on my 08 Lariat crew (non amplified sys) with Infinity reference coaxial. I set the crossovers at +3 with tweeters aimed up to lift the hi's. They made a huge difference over stock.
In looking backwards, I would have gone with components in the front to get the tweeters up higher in the blank factory tweeter location.

I am now thinking through adding a subwoofer decision. Not much room and no really good options is what I see so far!

ps. I did the speakers thru Crutchfield. They make so darn easy with emailed instructions, adapter wiring kits and free shipping. Speakers I installed in all four doors were Infinity Reference 6832cf.

Last edited by Kevinpmac; 08-18-2015 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sailor_USN (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

2-way vs 3-way speakers, what would work more for a casual listener like me? what is the biggest difference?

2 way door speakers are good. 3 way on a car speaker is marketing hype. You don't need a separate tweeter for them.

Since I want to add tweeters, do I need to purchase a component system? If so, are the component speakers more difficult to install?

Components are a 2 way system. They are just separate speakers. They are as easy to install as a 2 way door speaker with the exception of mounting the tweeter higher in the door panel.

What is a good subwoofer enclosure for the rear seat? Crutchfield has some that are $700+ and I know I wont convince myself that is worth it so I am going to look online and ask some shops.

Depending how much boom you want will determine the size box. I have had a single 10 and a dual 10 under my back seat powered by a 300 watt JL sub amp and the single was plenty. They were installed in premade boxes from eBay.Total cost $300

Also, do I need to throw in an amp?

For the sub yes. For the door speakers, it will be up to you. You already have increased power by going with an aftermarket HU. Some say component speakers need an amp to make the sound good. I would try the HU power first.
The following users liked this post:
Sailor_USN (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for the answers! I am really excited about replacing my stock speakers. I've been sort of bored lately haha is been a while since I've done anything to the truck and I already have my mind set on this. Again, thank you for the responses!

Quick Reply: 2007 F-150 Speaker Upgrade