Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2006 Scab Budget Sound Quality Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Default 2006 Scab Budget Sound Quality Install

Just started ordering stuff, so I figured I may as well start a build/selection thread.

Truck: 2006 Lariat Scab, Audiophile MP3/CD6, Sirius
Goals: Sound Quality, Keep OEM Head Unit, Budget $750

Current Plan (I'll edit to keep it up to date):

Head Unit: Stock Audiophile MP3/CD6 w/ Sirius
Harnesses: Metra 70-5520 (to truck), 71-5520 (reverse) - $15 IN HAND
LOC for Fronts: DavidNavone N-RHL2 - $30 IN HAND
Front Stage: Pioneer Premier TS-D720C 6.75" Comps - $120 IN HAND
Rear Stage: None
Sub Stage: Peerless 830876 10" XXLS Subwoofer 4 Ohm - $125 IN HAND
Sub Box: Qlogic Qcustom Sealed .65cf - $50 IN HAND
Amp: Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X4R - 100Wx2 at 4 ohms to front stage - 300Wx1 at 4 ohms to sub stage - $200 - IN HAND
Wiring: Knuconcepts Kolossus 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Installation Kit, Klear Kable Blue Speaker wire: 10 AWG - 3 ft and 12 AWG extra 20ft - ~$70 IN HAND
Dampening: Still debating ~ $200
Estimated Total ~$810

Cost Tally (Shipping & Tax included):
Amp $198.68 - Ebay Refurbished
Comps $122.23 - Amazon New
Wire/Acc $71.73 - knuconcepts New
Sub box - $50 Used
LOC - $30.95 - davidnavone.com New
Harnesses - $13.47 - Ebay New
Sub - $123.96 - Parts-Express.com New

Comments/Recommendations Appreciated.

Last edited by GATORB8; 04-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
New F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, maybe check out the DC Audio level 2 10" sub, i got mine, and while its not hooked up, its quite a substantial sub and just can't wait to get it going, should be able to get one within the price you are looking for, u can contact them and tell them i sent you if you are interested.

I used the knukonceptz wires, and thought they were great, though i went with this kit: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KFX-AK4

It comes with the twisted stereo cables and better RCA's, i would upgrade to it for the extra $2, either way, the kolossus flex cable is AWESOME, u will love it. For help stripping the twisted cables, as it seems to be a pain point for some, i used a coax cable stripper to remove the outer jacket, and a regular stripper for the wires, you can see the pics of how it looks on my install thread.

Also, that LOC looks like it would work fine, but after using my 3sixty to balance the output of the stock stereo, ford did put quite a bit of equalization straight out of the deck, so the signal is already messed with some, if looking for more control, may want to look into it or another with EQ capabilities, as the output of the ford stereo (at least the 2010 single cd one) was NOT flat at all, if i can get a screenshot of my 3sixty flattening i will...just something to think about.

Looks like a fun project, remember to post pics!!!

Last edited by compCoder; 04-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by compCoder
Looks good, maybe check out the DC Audio level 2 10" sub, i got mine, and while its not hooked up, its quite a substantial sub and just can't wait to get it going, should be able to get one within the price you are looking for, u can contact them and tell them i sent you if you are interested.
I need a 4 ohm load, so the DCs won't work until Level 3 which is too deep. I'm leaning toward the Peerless XXLS 10s now.

I used the knukonceptz wires, and thought they were great, though i went with this kit: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KFX-AK4
I've heard nothing but good about knu's stuff, I'm looking forward to using it.

Also, that LOC looks like it would work fine, but after using my 3sixty to balance the output of the stock stereo, ford did put quite a bit of equalization straight out of the deck, so the signal is already messed with some, if looking for more control, may want to look into it or another with EQ capabilities, as the output of the ford stereo (at least the 2010 single cd one) was NOT flat at all, if i can get a screenshot of my 3sixty flattening i will...just something to think about.
The problem with the 3sixty is I have an audiophile system (head unit is crossed over and has speaker level highs out and RCA level lows out)and I would need signal summing capabilities between different signal levels for a DSP. The amp I selected has both channel based digital EQ and time delay capabilities so I can take care of fixing the stock signal there. From what I know, there is no bass roll off in the audiophile system, so I shouldn't need variable bass correction.

Looks like a fun project, remember to post pics!!!
Will do
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

I've got everything here, but haven't had much time to work on the install. Made up the harness for the stock head unit yesterday. It integrates the Navone LOC and is fully soldered, heat shrunk and taped. I tapped the Accessory delay circuit for the amp turn on rather than use the one built into the LOC. I'll post pictures when I get a chance, I got a new phone, and had to order a new USB cable for file transfers.

Quick Reply: 2006 Scab Budget Sound Quality Install