Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

16 SCrew non Sony Upgrade project

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 16 SCrew non Sony Upgrade project

So I just completed a 2000 mile road trip in my new truck and one things was very clear. The factory non Sony sound system is mediocre at best. I know, "big surprise" based on many other posts. I decided that I have to upgrade, but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am not looking for Audiophile quality, just good clean sound with decent bass, but not "booming" Also want decently clear mids and highs. So with all of that in mind, Here is what I have ordered.

Polk DB651s for front doors - $69.99
Polk DB651s for rear doors - $69.99
Kicker Hideaway 8" sub - $229
Metra 82-3412 Speaker Mounting Brackets (rear doors) - $0.00
Metra 82-5607 Speaker Mounting Brackets (front doors) - $0.00
Metra 72-5602 4-Way Speaker Harness Connector (listed for Hyundai but work with 15+ F150 just cut off 2 center wires) - $9.48ea (x4)

I ordered the speakers from Crutchfield so they include the mounting brackets for free. Crutcfield does not offer wiring harness adapters so I ordered those from Amazon along with the Kicker Hideaway. Total cost of the sub, speakers, and adapters was $404. It is going to be about $100 to have the sub installed and another $75 to have the door speakers installed if I choose not to do that myself. So all in all about $500 - $600 total. I opted to go with the DB651 in the front doors vs the 6x9 mainly for a little cost savings. There is a lot of back and forth regarding sound quality of 6x9 vs 6.5, but in the end most information that I have read is that either is going to be better than the factory and given the upgrades that I am doing, I would likely not be able to tell the difference between the two. I have opted for now not to upgrade the dash speaker. From what I have read, it does provide some fill, but is mostly used for voice command response. If the factory speaker has a noticed negative impact, I will install the DB351.

The sub will be here today, and I am having that installed tomorrow as the first phase. The other speakers and adapters will not be here until early next week so those will be installed later. That will be nice in a way because it will allow me to try out just the sub with factory speakers and then again once the Polks are installed I can do another comparison. I will post back with progress and impressions as I move along with the project.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:40 PM

For those who have installed the hideaway, where did you install the bass control ****? I don't want it visible and probably won't adjust very often once it is set up. I was thinking in the center console.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not have the hideaway but I do have a kicker amp with the bass ****. This is where I mounted my Kicker bass ****. Post #13 and it is sideways so adjust as needed to get the right view. Hidden well and accessible when needed.

Driver side where the tray storage area below the center console. The little piece unclips and I used a small bolt and nut to mount the metal strip for my control ****. Then put the control **** on and clipped back in place. No issues or movement.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/bass-...2/#post4553978
Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by UH60Hosier
I do not have the hideaway but I do have a kicker amp with the bass ****. This is where I mounted my Kicker bass ****. Post #13 and it is sideways so adjust as needed to get the right view. Hidden well and accessible when needed. Driver side where the tray storage area below the center console. The little piece unclips and I used a small bolt and nut to mount the metal strip for my control ****. Then put the control **** on and clipped back in place. No issues or movement. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/bass-...2/#post4553978

That was another area that I thought of but not sure it would be hidden enough.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want it more hidden then you will probably want to install in the center console or the covered tray area under the radio. The area with the USB and 12 v plug. Unless you are really trying to look, the location I have it keeps it mostly out of site and still accessible easily.

Use some command strips to "temp" mount in different locations until you find the spot you like without hooking the wire up. Try multiple locations to check accessibility and if it is hidden enough. Once you find the perfect location then mount it better and you are good to go.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by UH60Hosier
If you want it more hidden then you will probably want to install in the center console or the covered tray area under the radio. The area with the USB and 12 v plug. Unless you are really trying to look, the location I have it keeps it mostly out of site and still accessible easily. Use some command strips to "temp" mount in different locations until you find the spot you like without hooking the wire up. Try multiple locations to check accessibility and if it is hidden enough. Once you find the perfect location then mount it better and you are good to go.
Having it installed at a local shop tomorrow. Will talk to them about it, but will probably go with in the center console unless they have a better suggestion.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 PM

Phase 1 has arrived. The Kicker Hideaway was just delivered (love Amazon same day delivery). I have an appointment in the AM to have it installed.

Last edited by rritch; 03-29-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing to this. I felt the same way with my Ford Touch. It is a huge upgrade from what I had but I'm looking to get a little more umph out of it.

Originally Posted by rritch
So I just completed a 2000 mile road trip in my new truck and one things was very clear. The factory non Sony sound system is mediocre at best. I know, "big surprise" based on many other posts. I decided that I have to upgrade, but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am not looking for Audiophile quality, just good clean sound with decent bass, but not "booming" Also want decently clear mids and highs. So with all of that in mind, Here is what I have ordered.

Polk DB651s for front doors - $69.99
Polk DB651s for rear doors - $69.99
Kicker Hideaway 8" sub - $229
Metra 82-3412 Speaker Mounting Brackets (rear doors) - $0.00
Metra 82-5607 Speaker Mounting Brackets (front doors) - $0.00
Metra 72-5602 4-Way Speaker Harness Connector (listed for Hyundai but work with 15+ F150 just cut off 2 center wires) - $9.48ea (x4)

I ordered the speakers from Crutchfield so they include the mounting brackets for free. Crutcfield does not offer wiring harness adapters so I ordered those from Amazon along with the Kicker Hideaway. Total cost of the sub, speakers, and adapters was $404. It is going to be about $100 to have the sub installed and another $75 to have the door speakers installed if I choose not to do that myself. So all in all about $500 - $600 total. I opted to go with the DB651 in the front doors vs the 6x9 mainly for a little cost savings. There is a lot of back and forth regarding sound quality of 6x9 vs 6.5, but in the end most information that I have read is that either is going to be better than the factory and given the upgrades that I am doing, I would likely not be able to tell the difference between the two. I have opted for now not to upgrade the dash speaker. From what I have read, it does provide some fill, but is mostly used for voice command response. If the factory speaker has a noticed negative impact, I will install the DB351.

The sub will be here today, and I am having that installed tomorrow as the first phase. The other speakers and adapters will not be here until early next week so those will be installed later. That will be nice in a way because it will allow me to try out just the sub with factory speakers and then again once the Polks are installed I can do another comparison. I will post back with progress and impressions as I move along with the project.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM

Turns out that everything will be delivered by Thursday. Wife gave me the go ahead to pay for the door speaker installs as well. Hoping to get that done either Friday or Monday next week. Sub is scheduled to be installed this morning.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing the door speakers is super easy. Save your money and do it yourself. The hardest part is figuring out how to remove the door lever cable. There is a video on here somewhere of how to do it.

Quick Reply: 16 SCrew non Sony Upgrade project