Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

'04 factory radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 factory radio problem

My 2004 F150 radio cuts out. The power stays on to the head unit (the display is still on), but all the speakers cut in and out at random. My guess is that the amp has a bad connection somewhere either in the switching wire or ground. Anyone had some experience with this? Also, where is the amp in a 2004 Super Crew so I can check it out?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is most likely behind the dash or under a seat... won't be very big. as for why it's cutting out sounds like you have a speaker that's grounding out. that would cause your amp to turn off until the ground is no longer. check your speakers with a multimeter from the amp and see which one reads a crazy number of ohms
Old 06-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks, I'll try that approach this weekend and see what I can find.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Update, I found the problem

So I worked on the truck this weekend. It would only cut out when the engine was on and you took your foot off the accelerator. I opened the fuse block and could hear one of the relays going crazy. I swapped the relay out and the same thing was still happening. I then took out the 5A fuse labelled "Radio (start signal)" to check it, and the radio instantly came back on and has worked fine ever since. I thought about trying a new fuse, but realized "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Radio cuts out

My 2004 Lariat F150 radio/6cd player continually cuts out and on and off and between AM-FM-CD but won't stay on any one more than a few seconds. I pulled fuse 5 and it all stayed on so i figured it wasn't the correct one so I replaced fuse 22 and it worked for about 2 minutes before it started doing the same thing. Is this something common for this series of radios/vehicles and needs to be replaced or is there a fix for this problem?
I previously had a similar problem where the radio would cut in and out and fixed it at that time by reseating the fuses. Didn't seem to help this time so I replaced 22 but no help.
Please Help!
Al

Quick Reply: '04 factory radio problem