Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Wierd F-150 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM
MOANG retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd F-150 starting problem

97 F-150 96,xxx miles 4.6 Auto 4x4. Truck starts fine on level surface, starts fine when facing down an incline, won't start when facing up an incline, cranks, but won't fire. It can be sitting up the incline for less than 1/2 hr and won't start. If you roll it down to a level spot, it will eventually start and run? Never had a fuel injected vechile act like this before, don't know what to think. Looking forward to hearing any and all suggestions

HAWG20, MOANG retired
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome hawg!

Possible fuel pump issues? Sounds a little odd to me too.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

long shot here, but is there something heavy in the tank that plugs the line out of the tank when facing uphill? but rolls out of the way when level or downhill. i know it's a long shot.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by 05 super
long shot here, but is there something heavy in the tank that plugs the line out of the tank when facing uphill? but rolls out of the way when level or downhill. i know it's a long shot.
I, personally, have never heard of anything like that, but...
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
workin for parts!!!

i,ve seen it in our tandum dump trucks, when a rag has "fallen in" to the fuel tank. the truck would run fine and then it would lose power. the rag would move in the fuel tank and plug the fuel delivery. i know that a rag couldn't get into a gas tank filler, but has a float or something fallen off in there. he asked for all and any suggestions.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by 05 super
i,ve seen it in our tandum dump trucks, when a rag has "fallen in" to the fuel tank. the truck would run fine and then it would lose power. the rag would move in the fuel tank and plug the fuel delivery. i know that a rag couldn't get into a gas tank filler, but has a float or something fallen off in there. he asked for all and any suggestions.
I suppose anything is possible, I have just never heard of anything breaking loose inside the gas tank(s) and blocking the fuel line.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
workin for parts!!!

like i said it would be a long shot. what i was thinking is that it only happens when he's facing uphill, so if the fuel delivery line is at the back of the tank something must be rolling back and plugging it. that's why to me it seems like a fuel delivery prob and not an electrical prob.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 AM
MOANG retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Finally the truck would not start at all, turned out it was the fuel pump, replaced it and I have had no problem for months. Thanks to all who helped!

Quick Reply: Wierd F-150 starting problem