Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warranty is up - time to start wrenchin'

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warranty is up - time to start wrenchin'

It started with a Google search after the stealership told me they wanted $800 to solve a front end squeak. I thought bearings/hub, they said it needed 4WD actuators but they hand't done diagnostics. I found a couple other forums on front sqeaks and the IWEs, but it was this forum that had the step by step write up from VTX1800N1. Seemed easy enough to diagnose and it was. My IWEs are fine. Nothing is wrong with the system. Thanks to the local service writer that recommended the replacement that wasn't needed. Based on a couple other threads I'm moving on to brakes as the culprit for my intermittent squeak. As I thought about it - they are pretty used up from the surge brakes on my trailer going out for a couple summers. The truck handled it like a champ - but I definitely sense the time has come for new brakes.

After brakes, dust seals for the bed and I'm sure I'll find other mods on here that I don't even know about at this point in time.

More about the truck. 2009 Super Crew XLT, Royal red. 28,000 miles. Bone stock save for the BAKFlip HD bed cover and the LineX liner. Truck is mainly used to pull the boat in the summer. Dad takes it in the winter to have a 4WD vehicle - but doesn't put very many miles on it.

Looking forward to tapping into the expertise of the members and experiences posted on this forum.

Thanks again VTX1800N1 for IWE system tutorial and diagnostics.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Put up a video of the squeak, I always like throwing ideas around on mystery noises

Quick Reply: Warranty is up - time to start wrenchin'