Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

spun bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question spun bearing

hey everybody greezy fingers here ,first time in the forum. so anyway i spun a bearing on my stock 302. number one rod. looks like the crankshaft is toast. i can get a new one but i want to know why it spun in the 1st place. i dont recall having low oil pressure. engine was rebuilt 4 yrs ago with clevitt bearings. help me . im itching to get my rig back on the road. thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Anything could cause a spun bearing. Some dirt stopping up the oil passage. Over revving. You will be replacing the oil pump as well I am sure. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the rod is still good. 4 years and how many miles?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know who rebuild it but It could be you might have had a bearing assembled incorrectly, the wrong size. this is why if you are assembling and engine even after having the machine work done you always want to check the rod and main bearings with Plasti-Gauges.

Last edited by transmaster; 05-15-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by transmaster
I don't know who rebuild it but It could be you might have had a bearing assembled incorrectly, the wrong size. this is why if you are assembling and engine even after having the machine work done you always want to check the rod and main bearings with Plasti-Gauges.
I thought about that, but he said its been in the truck 4 years... Hard for me to think its bad assy after that long.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My question is, what was the reason for the initial rebuild? As fas as this time goes, with out question, replace the rod and crank. Measure all other rods for out of round (journal stretch). Yes, use plasti-gauge for bearing fit upon assembly. War story, I had the privelage to work with a FoMoCo, engine engineer, when I was with Ford Aerospace in Newport Beach Ca. He had access to .001, .002, and .003 oversize bearings. He would mix and match as necessary to obtain optimum bearing clearances. What an artist! Good luck and be thorough, do the do, and get the quality job you want.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Default spun bearing

it was a connecting rod that broke if i remember correctly.according to my paperwork they put in new:cam,timing chain,rod bearings,machined crank oil pump,rings pistons etc. i guess ill get a new crank n oil pump n hope for the best.oh it had 125000 miles when i got the rebuild.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds more and more like a assembly problem with that rod bearing. If they didn't use plastigauge to check things out before assembly they just may have crushed the bearing. Crushed bearings can go for a long time before they fail completely.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Default spun bearing

well ill be sure to use plastiguage. and thanks for everybodys input.it was most helpful hearing all this,this forum is just what i needed.

Quick Reply: spun bearing