Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie with a misfire problem - Hi everybody!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a misfire problem - Hi everybody!

Hate to start out looking for help, but here we go anyway. I am pushing 110k miles on my baby and have been having a issue with this misfire thing off and on for a while. started with code for cyl8 misfire and the engine running like crap anything above idle. after getting a "deal" from a buddies mechanic friend and a $45 spark plug all was ok. i should have been tracking because every once in a while it acts up again and i usually change the plugs and it runs great for a while. last time i even replaced the wires too. all ran good again, until now...again. anyway, symptoms as follows: normally starts fine. occasionally wont start unless you tap the gas. basically runs great thru first, gets into second and right around 3200 rpm it starts missing badly. if you ease off the throttle is seems to clear up or if it makes it to bout 4000 rpm runs ok again. this is under load accelerating hard -WOT. sometimes it wont get past the 3200 rpm area like a rev limiter is kicking in and stopping it. under light acceleration or cruise you occasionally get a misfire that feels like a tow chain just pulled tight on that imaginary dodge/chevy you seem to be pulling. go under the hood on the driveway and there is no visible/audible arcing from crossfire between the wires, if you bump the throttle at the TB you just get a bobble and the engine revs normally. if you rock the throttle you sometimes hear/sense its not quite right, but mostly sounds right. If you unplug the Jacobs and go direct factory it runs even worse. So, am I just running the **** out of my plugs or maybe a bigger problem?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Jon

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsco
Hate to start out looking for help, but here we go anyway. I am pushing 110k miles on my baby and have been having a issue with this misfire thing off and on for a while. started with code for cyl8 misfire and the engine running like crap anything above idle. after getting a "deal" from a buddies mechanic friend and a $45 spark plug all was ok. i should have been tracking because every once in a while it acts up again and i usually change the plugs and it runs great for a while. last time i even replaced the wires too. all ran good again, until now...again. anyway, symptoms as follows: normally starts fine. occasionally wont start unless you tap the gas. basically runs great thru first, gets into second and right around 3200 rpm it starts missing badly. if you ease off the throttle is seems to clear up or if it makes it to bout 4000 rpm runs ok again. this is under load accelerating hard -WOT. sometimes it wont get past the 3200 rpm area like a rev limiter is kicking in and stopping it. under light acceleration or cruise you occasionally get a misfire that feels like a tow chain just pulled tight on that imaginary dodge/chevy you seem to be pulling. go under the hood on the driveway and there is no visible/audible arcing from crossfire between the wires, if you bump the throttle at the TB you just get a bobble and the engine revs normally. if you rock the throttle you sometimes hear/sense its not quite right, but mostly sounds right. If you unplug the Jacobs and go direct factory it runs even worse. So, am I just running the **** out of my plugs or maybe a bigger problem?
Take that crap jacobs ignition off and return it to stock. Take that super chip off of it. Drive it and see how it does.. Welcome to the board.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the site. I would try switching your coils back as NGM mentioned.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Blue Angel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and you have the best advice guys on here. NGM is a one of the best guys to get advice from.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:17 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and times eleventy billion on what NGM says.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a misfire problem - Hi everybody!