Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New old guy from the big ole state of texas here!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New old guy from the big ole state of texas here!

Hey there everyone! I joined this forum not too long ago and just wanted to say hello to everyone and tell you a little about myself and why I am here. I am a middle aged guy here with two kids in college and at a turning point in my life. I owned a 1991 Ford Ranger pickup that I bought brand new and loved it. I lived up north at the time and the thing didn't even have a/c. It was a bare bones truck with a manual transmission and manual windows, etc. but I really liked that ford truck. I've had different cars over the years but it has been a while since I bought a truck. At my age, I really don't want to take on a lot of debt with a new vehicle so I bought a used truck at a local government auction and figured I would try to get it in tip top shape. It's a 1996 F150 XL Regular Cab with a 4.9L inline 6 Cylinder engine. The truck was used by the parks department for a nearby city and it has 96,000 original miles on it. I didn't have much time to preview it before I bid on it but the engine cranked over almost instantly when I went to preview it and it drove home to my driveway from the auction location (approx 40 miles) just fine. I washed it up and used a heat gun and some goo gone to remove the municipality stickers, numbers, etc. and was excited as it looks pretty clean. I drove it a couple of places (less than 20 miles each trip both ways) and it was fine. Then, the other day I went to the auto parts store to get a fuel filter, oil filter, oil, etc. and when I sat back into the truck and turned the key it would not fire up at all. The engine would turn and turn and turn but would not run. I've been trouble shooting it ever since. I posted a thread in hopes of getting some help with the problem at hand so hopefully you guys can help me out. I will also take some pictures of the work I do on my truck in an attempt to contribute here as well. I am just a weekend warrior and no expert but photography is one of my hobbies and I like taking pictures anyway so figure maybe I can get some pics out there. I also have begun MIG welding and picked up an oxy-acetylene setup in anticipation of doing some work on this truck and also for hobby stuff. Well, I guess that's enough for this intro. Thanks for reading my introduction and I look forward to getting to know everyone here!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by nightowlll
Hey there everyone! I joined this forum not too long ago and just wanted to say hello to everyone and tell you a little about myself and why I am here. I am a middle aged guy here with two kids in college and at a turning point in my life. I owned a 1991 Ford Ranger pickup that I bought brand new and loved it. I lived up north at the time and the thing didn't even have a/c. It was a bare bones truck with a manual transmission and manual windows, etc. but I really liked that ford truck. I've had different cars over the years but it has been a while since I bought a truck. At my age, I really don't want to take on a lot of debt with a new vehicle so I bought a used truck at a local government auction and figured I would try to get it in tip top shape. It's a 1996 F150 XL Regular Cab with a 4.9L inline 6 Cylinder engine. The truck was used by the parks department for a nearby city and it has 96,000 original miles on it. I didn't have much time to preview it before I bid on it but the engine cranked over almost instantly when I went to preview it and it drove home to my driveway from the auction location (approx 40 miles) just fine. I washed it up and used a heat gun and some goo gone to remove the municipality stickers, numbers, etc. and was excited as it looks pretty clean. I drove it a couple of places (less than 20 miles each trip both ways) and it was fine. Then, the other day I went to the auto parts store to get a fuel filter, oil filter, oil, etc. and when I sat back into the truck and turned the key it would not fire up at all. The engine would turn and turn and turn but would not run. I've been trouble shooting it ever since. I posted a thread in hopes of getting some help with the problem at hand so hopefully you guys can help me out. I will also take some pictures of the work I do on my truck in an attempt to contribute here as well. I am just a weekend warrior and no expert but photography is one of my hobbies and I like taking pictures anyway so figure maybe I can get some pics out there. I also have begun MIG welding and picked up an oxy-acetylene setup in anticipation of doing some work on this truck and also for hobby stuff. Well, I guess that's enough for this intro. Thanks for reading my introduction and I look forward to getting to know everyone here!
Howdy.

Check the inertia switch in the passenger side kick panel, little black box with a white or red button in the center, if that button is sticking up it will shut off power to the fuel pump.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New old guy here from the bog ole State of Texas

thanks for the tip. i will try that this morning.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome, hope that works out for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

Welcome to the F150 Forum
The following users liked this post:
nightowlll (05-17-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New old guy from the big ole state of texas here!