Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member with a towing/payload question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Member with a towing/payload question?

Hi everyone,

This is an awesome site with lots of great info. I am in the market to buy a new F150. I am looking at FX2's and Lariats with V6 ecoboost and a 3.55 elocker. This will be my first truck and I have a few questions about towing / payload capacity. The truck I am looking at buying has a GVWR of 7100# and a listed towing capacity of 9800#. The payload capacity is listed at 1950#. I want to try to balance fuel efficiency and towing capacity. I don't own a travel trailer, but in the next couple of years I would like to purchase one (in the 6000# range).

How close should I come to maxing out the GVWR? Can I go all of the way up to 7100# or do I need to try to stay under a certain percentage?

Same question for the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, can I safely go all the way up to the GCVW or should I stay under by some percentage?

Thanks...
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can go all the way to it but not exceed it, but instead of playing the weight game, maybe consider a truck with a lil higher towing and payload capacity to where you need not worry about it? Way i look at it, running a truck to its max like that, you can really be increasing maintenance and operating costs higher than what they really need to be by shortening the life cycle of the parts. Also running the max exponentially increase safety issues and concerns.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: New Member with a towing/payload question?