Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member with an old pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with an old pick-up

Hello everyone, I am jjtrain but you can call me by my first name, James.

About 3 years ago I bought a 1991 Ford F150 with a 5.0 liter engine and 4wd.

I've decided that I'm keeping this truck in operating condition for as long as I can afford it because, despite a few minor fixes that need to be made, it's a good truck with a solid engine. I'm also keeping it because I decided that I should learn a thing or two about keeping old vehicles running.

I'm a student at South Dakota State University trying to become an Electrical Engineer, so I'm also interested in learning a bit about the electronics that go into vehicles. Obviously, electronics in an old pickup are a bit out of touch with what modern pick-ups have, but I still feel its a great vehicle to learn off of.

And that is what led me to this forum. Aside from things that I cannot repair myself, or am not bold enough to tackle, a lot of the fixes my truck requires I think is well within my range (or potential range).

Additionally, I hope to one day restore this pick-up to showroom condition when it eventually becomes a classic. Everything thus far is original, except for starter, battery, radiator, the usual things that need replacing.

So, to start off my questions (which I will have a lot of over the coming year(s) ), where can I get an owners' manual and one of those repair guides for my pick-up? Ford dealership? Ebay?

Thanks and it's good to be here.

--James
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

welcome
Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F150 forum!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome from Eastern Idaho. Congrats on your new to you truck. All the information you need is on the net but I love a hard copy of a repair manual. You can find basic repair manuals at any parts store but a true repair (service) manual can be several hundreds of dollars and usually out of print by now. Yes E-Bay. I love old trucks like my 1970 F-250. Good luck

Quick Reply: New member with an old pick-up