Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new member with a leak problem....that doesn't sound right.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new member with a leak problem....that doesn't sound right.....

Hello Everyone! I'm new to all this so be easy on me. I'm Jim and I live in Lawrenceville Georgia. I own a 2004 F150 supercrew so I should be qualified to be here. The reason I joined was to learn more about my truck and to find out why I have leak in it. It started out with no heat about a week or so ago so I figured heater core. But there's no antifreeze smell. There's really no smell at all except for maybe a very slight mildewy smell from water that's apparently been there a while. Sometimes I do have heat. So here's the dilemma: I have heat and not much of a leak. I don't have heat and I have a bunch of water. This all leads me to believe that I have a clogged condensate line. BUT, I have no clue where to look to blow it out if that's the problem! I feel like I'm 'car savy' so I should be able to locate it. It seems more like my problem is the motor or gear that opens and closes the 'flap' that switches from heat to cold and verse-visa. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on and off the internet so if I don't answer right away, it's 'cause I'm BUZY! Thanks for any help!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome! I havent had that problem *knock on wood*
Sorry I cant help you. But good luck getting it figured out.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Water is a normal sign of A/C operations, particularly in high humidity areas.

Coolant is a sign of a leak.

There should be a drain hose somewhere - not familiar with your vintage F150, so all I can suggest is to look around the passenger side firewall area for an open ended hose, probably on the order of 1/4" - 1/2" OD. The hose may come through the firewall or drop down off the evaporator housing.

Check for sufficient coolant level at the radiator/overflow, and whether both coolant hoses going to the heater core are hot (they should be, at operating temperature). If both these items check out - most likely an airflow control damper issue.

Are you controlling when you do and don't have heat, or is it sporadic? The 'no heat with water' sounds like the A/C is engaged, which it should be when on 'defrost' as well as 'A/C'. The control panel or any vacuum lines (not sure if your vintage still has the vacuum setup) are the last possibility I can think of.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Blue Angel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome's and the explanation of what it could be. Yes, both hoses going into the firewall are RED HOT! And the radiator/overflow level hasn't changed which makes me think it's that "flap" I referred to which is the control damper you are referring to I believe. I just couldn't think of the proper terminology. Thanks! I'll look for that drain line at the firewall as you suggested. I've also heard from a local that there is supposed to be one on the exterior of the firewall near the tranny. As of right now, the heat is working thankfully since I leave it outside and it was 29 this morning! I'm almost afraid to take it out of 'heat' mode because that control damper might possibly get stuck again if in fact that's what it is. I'll check the vacuum lines as well. There are a couple (of thousands!) of those there too.
Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Driver carries no money.

Welcome to the show!

Sorry for the late welcome. It was a busy week playing catch up for the short week! Then a whole lot of family time!

Quick Reply: new member with a leak problem....that doesn't sound right.....