Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Guy 97' 4.2 v6 Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy 97' 4.2 v6 Engine Problem

I am looking at purchasing a 1997 F150 4.2 V6 that has 287,000+ miles on it. Truck is listed for $800.00. Problem is the engine has a rocker noise that seems to not get so loud after it runs for awhile. But it does make a lot of noise still and its not a piston rod. Motor does not smoke, Trans seems fine. I thought about replacing the whole motor, but the junk yards want $1500 or more for a used motor. New motor cost about $2500 for a long block. Being new to the F150 market I didn't know if this might have been a problem with the 4.2L V6's. Would it be worth the investment to get?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Jon

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the site! I drive an 02 4.2 v-6 myself, its been good to me. I have 167K on it with out a problem. As to your noise and what to do, have you considered doing the overhaul yourself. Its been a few years but I would pull the engine and give it to an overhaul shop on Saturday and pick it up the following Saturday. Find a local machine shop and ask them how much. I always liked to stay with the same block as to getting a long block. I felt more comfortable that way. If you choose to build up the engine yourself or have them do it, its still better than buying an unknown engine with an unknown history. Good luck and let us know how things worked out.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I had thought about rebuilding the engine myself. I am an A & P mech, but it has been a long time since my last rebuild. One problem is not having a shop to do the work. But that is soon to change cause we are soon to buy another house. Dad here is making sure he gets hooked up with the right shop. I just didn't know if it would be worth buying the truck vs the cost of rebuilding the engine. Is there any high performance parts for the 4.2? Like cams, ratio rocker arms etc...? OR did thought about replacing with a V8 instead. Any thoughts.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the main problem is that the engine is missing 2 extra cylinders.......LOL

I'm only kidding man!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey fellow A & P. Received my ticket back in 65. Worked at it for 13 years. Couldn't make enough money to support the family so moved on to Ford trucks at the stealerships. 4 years there, went to Ford Aerospace in Newport Beach became service manager at the shop. Finally Ford got out of the Aerospace Industry in 91, been Equipment manager at Golf Courses since. Looking forward to retirement in 10 months. Pension from Ford, although small will be beer money or gas. Don't know much about doing any Mods or beefing up. Plenty of guys here will help with that, although the two extra cylinders as Triton said has merrit.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: New Guy 97' 4.2 v6 Engine Problem