Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New F150 owner, Second Ford truck, Sorry for the length

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking New F150 owner, Second Ford truck, Sorry for the length

Howdy,
This is my second Ford Truck, the first was a Ford Ranger Stepside. I loved the Ranger but I wanted a bigger truck so I traded it in on a Nissan Titan. Fully tricked out, leather, power everything. It was a beast and it drank fuel like one. I would get 12 MPG down hill, with a tail wind and doors open.

I had to get rid off the Nissan due to a divorce. Not sad to see it go.

My next two vehicles were Jeep Grand Cherokees. The first was a 96 that my brother gave me. I got it at 100K and it finally gave up the ghost when we were moving to CO from WI. The engine blew on the way up from Denver at 236K miles.

My next one was a 99 that we bought used from a dealer. It was the limited model with everything. I loved that jeep, had it for 3 years until it decided to mate with a Prius on I-76 when I fell asleep at the wheel on our way back from getting our house in WI ready for sale. Everyone was ok, thankfully and the Jeep didn't look bad. The adjuster called me and said that he was sorry but he had to total the Jeep. He said that it was the best looking, well cared for Jeep that he had seen in a long time but there was frame damage.

My next car is a 2006 Volvo V50 wagon. It is a front wheel drive and even with brand new snow tires, it isn't that great in the snow. But, when it isn't snowing it is a blast to drive. I get 30 MPG doing 80.

Since my "wife" (really my girlfriend of 5 years but if we get married, her scum of a husband won't have to pay alimony and I want him to pay for hurting her) got rid of her Jeep GC when we traded it in on a Subaru Legacy. That car is a riot to drive too. Handles snow well but it is a leased vehicle and we put 18K miles on it the first year as my wife's commute was over 120 miles a day, over Vail pass.

We both missed having a larger vehicle to haul stuff and people around when they come to visit us in Silverthorne CO. And we needed another car to keep the mileage down on the Subie. So, we started looking for a 4X4 truck. We wanted something cheap but with some creature comforts. We almost bought a Ford Excursion but, on the day we were going to go get it there was a big snowstorm and we put off going to look at it. I talked with wifey and we decided that since we don't need another car, we should just stick with our search for a SCAB or SCREW.

Craigslist is a great is a good place to look for things. I kept searching all the time since I am not working due to a work related injury. I hit my head on the concrete floor and it really messed up my memory. They are calling it a Traumatic Brain Injury. I don't remember much that has happened after the accident. And, if it happened more than 5 or 6 days ago, I can't remember it. Which makes going to the doc interesting. But, enough of that.

While searching for a truck we came to realize that here in CO, if the truck is newer with lower miles, it is well over 11K. And the newer it is, the price really goes up. For something in our price range, it would be more than 8-10 years old and have over 100K miles on it.

We came across a 2011 SCREW XL with 156K miles on it. It was a work truck and most of the miles were highway miles. The guy selling the truck buys vehicles at auction and goes through the vehicles at his shop to make sure things are okay. He was listing the truck for $9600 and we exchanged several emails. It turned out that his secretary posted the ad listing it as SCREW when it was really a SCAB. And she used the wrong price he really wanted $10,500 for the truck as it was in great shape, nothing wrong with it and it drove straight. But, since we responded first and at the old price, he said he would honor the old price for us.

We went to look at the SCAB, and I took it for a test drive. It was below zero that day and the truck heated up quickly. It drove great at any speed and when I kept my hands off the wheel when I slammed on the breaks at 70, there was no pulling left or right. The old owners even put on new tires before they got rid of it. No rust other than some surface in the bed.

The guy selling the truck honored the price even though he had several people wanting it. 1 guy even offered to pay more (I later learned it was more than 10% of the new asking price of $10,500) but the guy selling it said he couldn't do that as we were there and we were first in line. The other guy offered to buy it from us at a premium but we said no.

We have had it for almost a month now and we love it. No problems going over the pass or around town even after a 10" snowfall. My wife and I argue about who gets to drive it.

I know that some people will probably say I paid to0 much for the truck given the mileage but I have kept searching on CL and I have yet to find anything newer than a 2008 with similar mileage for close to the price we paid. Now, we are looking in to getting rid of the Subie early if we can get out of the lease.

If you read this far, you have a lot of patience, and I appreciate it.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself but I guess I got carried away.

Dan

Quick Reply: New F150 owner, Second Ford truck, Sorry for the length