Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jonathan Mallard 1991 Ford F-150 4.9L San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jonathan Mallard 1991 Ford F-150 4.9L San Antonio

New to forum, lurker for a while now.

I am a National Guard Soldier living in San Antonio Area. I was Active Army for 5 years and have been in the guard going on 6 years. I am a Medic Sargent in 1/141 HHC 36th Inf. I work at the Boerne Home Depot and I am a student at UTSA. I am going for teaching.

I work on my truck regularly at Randolph Air force Base in their hobby shop its a such a great benefit I use it regularly.

I just bought a 1991 F150 4.9L Straight six manual transmission with the super cab. I needed it for my new business running a booth at the local gun shows selling TA-50 (Ruck sacks, Pistol Belts, Sleeping bags) I even can make custom name tapes while you wait. I paid $800 for a running truck off of craigslist so i don't have much to complain about.

It does have some issues however.

the main issue is the major idling issue.

It takes a few cranks to start and then goes to 2000 RPM then down to 500 and tries to die. its constant and when driving i have to keep RPM up to keep the ride kind of comfortable.

Ive cleaned the throttle body replaced the MAP sensor and TPS sensor. still a constant issue. the EGR looks new or at least the guy i bought the truck from said it was replaced recently. I read on this forum about looking into possible vacuum leaks. where do i start to look?

It gets kind of jumpy when shifting in the low gears. but i am new to manual trans so it might be the operator.

when sitting idling after driving a distance it can maintain 1k RPM but listening to the engine you can kind of hear some popping, or at least that's the best i can describe it.

Other issues rather minor

The Brake light stays on even though its clearly not.

the Speedometer is kind of jumpy until you get to 45 MPH where it levels out.

the hood popper is broken and the cable is ziptied to my grill so i can open my hood from the outside.

It is rather unusual but when i have full tanks and i switch the the rear tank it starts pouring fuel out of the front tank behind where the opening is to fuel the truck, after burning a few gallons the problem subsides.

the front tank is rather erratic as to where it says the fuel level is, its just kind of all over the map. So i pull out my write in the rain notebook and document miles vs. gallons of fuel it takes.

I have great appreciation for your guys time and input i would love to hear the holy grail answer that will solve this.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 229 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome to the site! I'm sure someone will chime in with possible solutions.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F150 forum! Great to have you join!

Quick Reply: Jonathan Mallard 1991 Ford F-150 4.9L San Antonio