Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I NEED a truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED a truck!!!

I guess the best way to introduce myself is to explain my NEED for truck, instead of a simple desire for one.

I used to own a couple of Jeeps many years ago, and as much as I loved my old Cherokees, they weren't big enough to travel in with my two kids, and haul alot of stuff, especially lumber and other goods for all of my activities.

Well, I got the bright idea back in 2001, to buy a Chevy Suburban (used '99 model). It's been a decent vehicle, but it's been through one engine, and one transmission, along with many other parts. Though the ride is nice, I am not satisified with its reliability. Though admittedly, the previous owner probably abused it.

Anyway, I tend to do alot of tree feling, and firewood chopping, because I have a wood stove. Even though a Suburban is good for hauling 8ft lumber from Home Depot, it stinks at hauling dirty Firewood. I have no trailer. If I ever get a trailer, I'm getting one with either a snowmobile, or a boat sitting on top of it.

So the time is coming to decide if I really want a truck or not. Well, I think I don't just want a truck. It's getting to the point where I may actually NEED a truck.

Also, my mid-life is approaching, and I need something to fulfill my compulsion for a nice toy. To heck with women, they drive me nuts. Been married for 18 years, and love the woman to death. Having married one, and fathering two, is more than I can handle. I don't want anymore hanging around.

But, I figure, since I really do love the old gal, I think a bench seat is in order. Kinda cool having the woman sitting next to you when you drive.

Anyway, I guess all this babbling brings me to my moot point for this forum. A dumb question, but serious one none the less.

Should I get an F-150, or a 1500? And why?

P.S. I'm eye-balling a new 2011 XLT 4x4 supercab with a chrome package.

Last edited by Condor1970; 09-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Not Important Enough

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the site
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome and I will give you my opinion on this. Im sure posting this on an F150 Forum you will only get the F150 answers and that is what mine is as well. From top to bottom it is a more superior truck. There is more room, it has 4 excellent choices for motors, the interior is nicer, the frame is stronger and the list goes on. I do however think you should look at a supercrew XLT w/chrome package since you have 2 kids. It is amazing the room they have. Do your research on what you need between the motors in the XLT class which is the 3.7, the 5.0 and the Eco-boost. Dont buy a GM, hell even my friends who have close ties to GM and get employee cost chose the F150
Old 09-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Owned a '95 F150, only things that ever went on it besides wear and tear items, I broke, so it was my fault, not the trucks. Traded it for a 2006 F150 that so far I love as well. I test drove the new 2011 F150, had a 2011 Sierra as a rental for 2 weeks, and my dad and uncle's all have new Dodge Ram 1500's and the F150 is far superior to all the others I've driven..You won't be disappointed. My only advice is since you haul so much wood, make sure you get a 6.5 foot beed instead of the 5.5 foot
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Bro I got my '03 XLT in '06 with 50,000 miles on it, put 110,000 more miles on it over 6 years and NEVER had any problems with it. Ford is a BEAST can't beat their reliability and awesomeness!!! My XLT is also a supercab and truthfully there is just not much room back there for passengers even kids. My new FX2 is a supercrew and it is ROOMY back there. If you can put up the extra cash get the screw.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:52 PM

^^^ The problem is, I want to get a new one with the 5.0L. So, I have a budget of around $30k for an XLT. I know I would probably need a 6.5ft bed for all the stuff I do, including hauling 8ft lumber and such. If I get a 4 door, they don't normally come with a 6.5ft bed unless you go well over $30k. In this case, the kids just may have to suck it up. Besides, they are girls, and my wife is pretty petite, only 5'4".

The back of the new Supercab seems to have similar leg room to our Toyota Corolla. And they don't seem to mind that. 90% of the time, they won't be riding in the back anyway.

Whenever we go anywhere with the kids, we almost always drive the Corolla. When my wife uses it on odd ocassion to drive them to school, they can both ride in front with her, as I'm looking at getting a bench seat in front.

Last edited by Condor1970; 09-25-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor1970
^^^ The problem is, I want to get a new one with the 5.0L. So, I have a budget of around $30k for an XLT. I know I would probably need a 6.5ft bed for all the stuff I do, including hauling 8ft lumber and such. If I get a 4 door, they don't normally come with a 6.5ft bed unless you go well over $30k. In this case, the kids just may have to suck it up. Besides, they are girls, and my wife is pretty petite, only 5'4".

The back of the new Supercab seems to have similar leg room to our Toyota Corolla. And they don't seem to mind that. 90% of the time, they won't be riding in the back anyway.

Whenever we go anywhere with the kids, we almost always drive the Corolla. When my wife uses it on odd ocassion to drive them to school, they can both ride in front with her, as I'm looking at getting a bench seat in front.
Im just saying you may have a couple buddies who go with and the supercab is fairly roomy but nothing like a crew is. You must be looking at 2wd for 30k. I didnt think a 6.5 ft bed was any more in terms of cost. Look into it or maybe someone on here knows but I am 99% sure it is not an upcharge for the longer bed. The nice thing about the screw with a 6.5ft bed is you wont say down the road I wish I had more room if you get the supercab you may say that. Vehicles are expensive, Id hate to hear ya say I wish I had more room. Look around I bet youll find a dealer with an 11 that is around 30k rt now they have 0% for 60 and 1000 cash back
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

i own a 96 f150, it has a really nice ride and aside from the normal fixes it had a transmission rebuild at 93k miles. overall its the best 3500 bucks i ever spent, has 102k miles on it now. i bought my girlfriends ram 1500 about a year ago now, its a 98 ram 1500 slt laramie 4x4 short bed quad cab, ride is about 2x stiffer then my f150 but it has loads of power and after 25k miles we have only fixed one thing. the sway bar i beleve for 120 bucks. other then that, its an extremly nice truck for me. so if you intend to beat up on your truck a little, like to tow a little, id sadly go with the dodge (sorry f150 forum) the ram 1500 is just a better truck for me compared to my f150, btw i bought my f150 with 79k the dodge with 81k. 5.2 4 speed auto in the dodge.

i own a 2006 ram 2500 but you only want a 150 or 1500. sorry the info couldn't be more up to date lol

Last edited by f150cam; 09-26-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Welcome to f150forum.com.. Lots of good guys and info here... Be sure to post some pics

Quick Reply: I NEED a truck!!!