Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Howdy from Texas

Old 12-09-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Howdy from Texas

Hi Everyone,

Short story:

My Father-in-law had a 1975 pick up truck that at some point I was going to inherit. In 1984, he had it stolen when he was at a funeral home. With the insurance money he ordered a 1984 pick up truck but it came off the assembly line with fuel injection and supposedly it was the last 1984 with 1985 fuel injection and thus got labeled 1985. I have not been able to verify that. Anyways for several decades that was the truck he would give me when dies. Well in recent months he was not doing well and so for Thanksgiving he wanted to take it with me when I left. I drove it all the say home for 3 hours t after Thanksgiving but it was a bitter sweet drive as I was struggling knowing why he wanted me to have it sooner since his health has deteriorated. On Monday I changed the title, put new plates, and now have a new security system to protect it. I did take some pictures of it after I cleaned it up and sent it to him. He was proud I had it. I am still not sure if I want to restore it like OEM, Hot Rod, or just Modernize it. I am trying to get the pros and cons of each. I do have some problems that I have to fix such as after warm up, it goes to slow idle then dies but is easily started so I can drive it. The clock, ET and calendar switch seems to be bad as I cannot change the setting but displays work. The rear sender in the rear gas tank give false fuel readings, cruise control does not work, etc. I want to fix those before I take the next step. I am good at bolting on but I don't have any welding, body skills, etc. As an example, I have thought about adding rear disc brakes and getting rid of the drum brakes. If anybody has any inputs or suggestions I am all ears. It is a 1985 Ford XLT Lariat. See attached picture. I suspect I will be visiting this forum a lot over time.
Attached Thumbnails Howdy from Texas-1985-ford-f150-xlt-lariat.jpg  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

That is one nice, clean truck! Welcome to the site.

Search this Thread