Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello All. Just bought a truck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello All. Just bought a truck!

A few days ago I bought this 1977 F-150 Custom Super Cab off a guy for 400 bucks. The truck has not been loved for a long time. It was covered in grime but ran well so I bought it. I had the kids wash it and it is a decent truck under all the filth. The only issue is the power steering is not hooked up. I have a guy coming over next week to help me remedy that.

I have nostalgic feelings for this old truck. When I was a kid I remember riding in my Uncle Jim's brand new 1972 F-250 Ranger 4 speed stick. A few years later he gave it to my dad. I hauled a lot of firewood and made a lot of dump runs in that truck. Later when the engine quit my dad took it to the auto shop at the high school. The teacher swapped a 390 and tranny out of a 1965 T-Bird. It was sweet. A few years ago without warning my dad sold it to a wrecking yard even though it still ran. I could not believe it!

Anyway I really enjoy tinkering with this barn-find truck I have now. I could use any advice you have. I had the auto tranny serviced and it shifts great. I plan on flushing the engine and putting fresh oil in it after I replace the valve cover gaskets. I will flush the radiator as well. The brakes are good-- though they do not seem to have any assist-- have to push hard.

The guy that serviced the tranny told me it has very nice, expensive aftermarket headers on it. Engine is a 351M with Edelbrock carb and air cleaner. The seat is good but the folding mechanism on the driver side is wont stay up unless you have the back seat folded down. I may have to live with that as these are rather rare Super Cab seats that is a split bench.

One of the clips on the tailgate linkage was busted but I got a new one today so the gate will function. I hope to find a good deal on a replacement rubber floor covering with insulation as it is pretty torn up. The headliner is gone but I think I will make a nice one out of a piece of wood veneer. Anyone have an original windshield wiper control ***? Good to be here on this forum. I want to keep this truck forever.

1977 F-150 Custom Super Cab

Last edited by FatsoSupercab; 07-29-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 AM
paint sucks

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Dang thats nice. How on earth did you get it for 400$? Has the guy been trying to sell it for like 10 years?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the guy had no clue as to the value. He did not really care about it. I am positive he would have jumped on 300 if I had offered that instead. It was so covered in grime that I could not tell that the wheels were chrome. The engine runs great.

Quick Reply: Hello All. Just bought a truck!