General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM vs Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM vs Ford

I have always been a GM guy, but am seriously considering choosing a Ford for my next truck. I like the fact that Ford took no bailout $$ and I think they deserve a good hard look.

Right now, I'm trying to get as much info as I can on the Ecoboost engines to see if that is the way I want to go.

Last edited by cajun bill; 05-28-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh boy did you open up a can of worms
Old 05-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by cajun bill
I have always been a GM guy, but am seriously considering choosing a Ford for my next truck. I like the fact that Ford took no bailout $$ and I think they deserve a good hard look. Right now, I'm trying to get as much info as I can on the Ecoboost engines to see if that is the way I want to go.
What do you want to know about the EcoBoost?
Old 05-28-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gx2Lariat
What do you want to know about the EcoBoost?
To all: I'm not trying to "open up a can of worms", I just want help in deciding what to buy and if it's a Ford, what engine should I use. BTW, I have little to no knowledge of the pro's and con's of the EB vs V8 and especially the same of the new aluminum Fords. All serious advice will be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
WestsydeGuy (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned 4 GM truck in both gas and diesel motors. This is my first ford and I will never go back. Can't beat the space the new F150's have and they look awesome.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach1563
Owned 4 GM truck in both gas and diesel motors. This is my first ford and I will never go back. Can't beat the space the new F150's have and they look awesome.
Guess you should change your front plate to CONVERT
Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by cajun bill
To all: I'm not trying to "open up a can of worms", I just want help in deciding what to buy and if it's a Ford, what engine should I use. BTW, I have little to no knowledge of the pro's and con's of the EB vs V8 and especially the same of the new aluminum Fords. All serious advice will be appreciated.
It's not you, it's just the bailout and ecoboost vs v8 subject is constantly debated pretty intensely on this forum.

As owner of both, 3.5 Ecoboost previously and the 5.0 now, both engines are good IMO. To me the EB is a towing beast. I don't really tow much so the 5.0 does me fine.

Both get similar mpg but it's how you look at it. I describe the EB as a Jekyl and Hyde engine. It performs like a 6.2 when towing, and gets the mpg avg of a 5.0 when normal driving. A lot of people get it backwards and expect 25mpg but that's not what it was designed for. When towing and performing like a big 6.2, it will get 6.2 mpg.

I don't have any experience with the 2.7EB.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

As a former chevy owner if you decide to switch to ford congratulations.
I will not bash the ecoboost engines.
Do i prefer the 5.0 V8, yes I do.
But the ecoboost makes many happy as well.
Whatever you buy please order it with the 3.73 gears.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 13 EB with 3.31s. It's great. I don't agree with the previous poster. You don't need big gears with the EB because the torque is available much sooner.

As another said, it's either "eco" or "boost". I can drive up and down the highway all day at 70mph and get around 20mpg. If I go 75 starts to drop fast because the turbos are spooled far more often and that makes it thirsty.

When I bought this one, I drove quite a few with both engines, and originally wanted the 5.0. The primary reason I went with this one is it had two things that the others didn't have, it's a 6.5' bed with a tow package. I had a hard time finding both with a 5.0. They're both fine engines, and I'm sure I would have been happy with either. I drove a few GMs and the big detractor for me was the smaller cab. I have one rear facing car seat and will soon have a second one. My dodge was too small. The ford can take a pumpkin seat with the base with no problem.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 PM

Pulled the trigger yesterday on a 3.5 EB with 3.31 rear end, Lariat with the 501A package and a bunch of extras that I wanted. Thanks to all for the advice.

Quick Reply: GM vs Ford