Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Circuit

This is my first post so here I go. I have a 1997 Ford F150 4.2L that the engin turns but will not start. I checked the fuel pump to listen if it was running with the key in the on position. It was not. I need to know where to go from there. Is there a fuse or a relay to check after that? Please help!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The first thing you should do is check the inertia switch, it's in the passenger side kick panel. First check if the little red button on top is pushed down, then unplug it and use a paper clip or piece of wire or something to jump the switch out and try to start it again.

Then check fuse 19 and if it's good swap the fuel pump relay with another relay in the box that looks identical and see what happens.

If you still have no fuel go under the truck and find the connector to the fuel pump, it should be right around the gas tank somewhere and the pink/black wire should have power with the key on. If the relay and fuse are good and you have no power you have a bad wire, if you have power and no fuel at this point you have a bad fuel pump.

BTW that fuse box is out under the hood.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Welcome to F150forum.com .. Lots of good guys and info here.. Be sure to post some pictures

If all your relays and fuses check ok... beat on the tank with a rubber mallet or something just enough to jolt the pump.. it might kick on.. if so.. i would just replace the pump
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Wow, Thanks Guys for the fast reply and the great information! I searched the net for 2 days before getting here! Thank God for You Guys! I'm off to make the checks that you told me to and I'll get back with the results! Thanks Again!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM

I like how I forgot the obvious test and went straight into the more complicated stuff. Anyway, good luck! post back with results we always like to hear we helped someone out, that's the whole point of the forum after all.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Thats why were here lol.... IF that dont get you going in the right direction... Make thread in the 97-03 thread
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Just a quick update! I've checked the fuse, the relay, and jumped out the inertia circuit. Still, I can't hear the fuel pump run. Next, I'll check for power to the fuel pump, the wiring. I can only do so much at a time since my bypass, so don't count me out Guys! Thanks again for all your help!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Do like he said and have someone hold the key cranked while you beat on the tank with a rubber mallet and see if the fuel pump kicks on. Sometimes they get dead spots in the motor and you can get them to start working. You'll still need to replace the motor but at least you'll know what it is.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Circuit