Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

burning oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil problem

Bottom line, have a 2001f150 with 192K. Bought it in May 2010, with 189K. Changed oil the first week I bought the truck. I always do that when buying someone else's machine.
Runs great, but oil pressure gauge went down to Low and oil can indicator light came on. Checked oil, nothing on the stick. added 2 quarts. still nothing on the stick. Changed oil next day, and filter, adding 6 quarts 10W30.
Whenever you accelerate rapidly I'm getting smoke from the tailpipe. My backyard mechanics are telling me everything from valve guide seals, to bad rings, another mechanic at a shop mentioned wouldn't do any good for a compression test, lots of times invalid, especially with oil being present, could still have good compression. He also told me to check pvc valve and tube, maybe clogged. I just pulled truck into my garage and will check the vent tube and pvc valve.
Truck is running smoothe, but shoots a puff of smoke when you first start up, and a lot of smoke if you really get on it. Doesn't make sense, I understand a lot of miles, but vehicles these days, it's not uncommon to have high mileage, without complication. My buddy has a 4.6 in a 1999 pickup, he has 265K and still running strong. Hoping for an inexpensive fix, am I dreaming or can somebody analyze without taring engine down?

Steve
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i would do a compression and leak down test...... start the truck and take the oil filler cab off ... see if theres pressure coming out
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Welcome to the forums...lots of good guys and info here... be sure to post some pictures
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

welcome to the site
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Default f 150 oil burner

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Welcome to the forums...lots of good guys and info here... be sure to post some pictures
thanks bob for the information and advice. I did check PCV valve and tube, no restriction. Today I put a can of restore in for 8 cyl. vehicles, it recommends every oil change. Suppose to help seal the rings, better performance, less smoking, even though my truck doesn't seem to be having performance problems. I let you know in the future how things are going. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Default f150 oil burner

Originally Posted by 1ATony
welcome to the site
Thanks for the welcome Tony. As I had mentioned to Bob, I put a can of Restore for 8 cyl. vehicles today. I'll let you know in the near future how that works out. I owe money on this truck, and don't need to be replacing an engine at this point and time. Happens to the best of us!

Take care
Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It's prolly just the valve seals. Put mobile 1 in it and run it another 200,000 miles

Quick Reply: burning oil problem