Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back in a Ford after all these years

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
1995 Ford F-150 XL 4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in a Ford after all these years

I started off in a 1978 Ford F150 Custom running a 351m - it was my Grandfathers and I have photos to this day showing me all over that truck. He used it hunting, plowing, hauling - as a truck. Then along the way he let my dad have it as he was "retiring" from roofing and getting too old to hunt. But he still hung around on the roofing jobs to make sure the new guys learned something everyday. Some where along the way, early 90s, my Grandpa's cousin had a 1979 Camper Special F250 with a 351 (Windsor I believe, but my Dad says it had the Cleveland) so we picked that up with only 57,000 miles on it. My dad drove it and I could drive the "Green Machine" when I was fixing my Camaro. It was rusty and dented, but I would wash it at least once a month, leaving most neighbors wondering "why the hell?" I have to say that the 78 could haul anything in the bed. Sadly in the Fall of 1995 Green Machine was laid to rest, from a drunk driver nearly shearing the front end off one night, leaving me with 6 staples in my head. That truck saved my life that night, because had I been in my 85 Camaro I don't believe I would be here. The F250 moved to Indianapolis with my parents when I was in college because I had no place to keep to keep it while at school and was eventually donated to a family that needed transportation.

Today marks the 11th anniversary of my Grandfathers death, and the 6th anniversary of when we buried Grandma - two of the most hard working Kentucky born and raised people I knew. I will never forget that truck and how much he said you only buy Fords - Chevy's are good, but they rust too early, and never a Dodge because it lacks real power and ain't worth nothing.

Fast forward to Spring of this year and my family is finally in a position for me to financially afford a 3rd "not so practical" vehicle, so I locate a beast of a beater - 1991 F150 XLT. No the prettiest, but still redeemable if I have the patience to restore it I could over the course of a few years. While I only had it from May to August as a driver has yapping on their cell phone and blew a stop sign totaling my new truck that hadn't even been named.

About 2 weeks later I found the current 1995 F150 XL that I am driving. It still isn't quite a daily driver, but I know when I need it to run its going to get there.

Anyways that's my introduction as to why I have and will always have a Ford Truck

Quick Reply: Back in a Ford after all these years