Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another New Member from Houston!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New Member from Houston!

Hello from Houston, Texas!

This is my first solo vehicle purchase. I’m 25 and was driving a 2007 Ford Sports Trac for 9 years until yesterday. The difference is night and day – so much more space in this beast!

I’m looking for input on some upgrades to this guy (5.0 V8 / 4x4) and would love to hear if anyone has trusted sources in the Houston area or feedback on which brands should be installed/avoided. Some of my ideas:
  • Cold Air Intake
  • Wheels/Tires (I’m digging black rims. Old truck had chrome.)
  • Raise at most 6”
  • Retractable Running Boards
  • Oracle or HID Lighting (What’s the difference?)
  • Exhaust (Seems like there are a ton to choose from…)

Disclaimer: As you can see I don’t know what I’m talking about. I design and sell pools for a living; not a vehicle guru (but maybe one day?). So please tell me if I’m spitting out poor ideas here. I’m wondering if there is particular order these upgrades should take place in as well.

I bought this truck from Planet Ford on I-45 and they said they have an aftermarket shop that can do some of these upgrades. I’ll do my research and discuss pricing on the forums before I go straight to them.

Also, check out the photo below. If anyone is interested I’m quite confident with my camera skills and photo editing abilities (run my own photography gig on the side). Thanks for viewing and TIA for any info you can pass along! I look forward to being a part of this online community.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Zachery!
The following users liked this post:
zachery (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome. Nice looking truck.
zachery (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I am on the south side. I would stay away from dealership add ons, they are usually over priced. Also no need for a CAI, the factory intakes on most modern vehicles are usually more than adequate to meet the needs of the engine.

-Nathan
zachery (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Nathan. So I had a strong sense going into this research that the dealer add-on’s would be overpriced. My main concern is simply staying within my warranty and not screwing myself down the road.

That being said I asked the dealer for their pricing on a few items and this is what the guy came back with. He mentioned everything would come with a 3y/36k warranty when installed.

Cold Air Intake (Quoted at $600 installed)

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...ir-Intake.html
Clearly, I see it’s only $389.99 online and seems relatively simple to install but again is the markup worth the warranty? The guy made it seem like it would take more than an hour of labor time to get it done and I just don’t see that.

Exhaust (Quoted at $1616 installed)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-p...t-blk-50l.html
Again, the markup but not sure if I’m better off buying it and then going to a mechanic to install? I see it would cost $1,241.00 online but not sure a good estimate on labor would be…

The dealer is telling me my drive off price for the two items above installed at the same time would be $2,394.21 with tax. LOL I’m getting stiffed by this price, right?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:52 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here
Tony
Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm just for those two things that seems pretttyyy steeeppp. I personally would tell them to kick rocks BUT like you said it comes with a warranty but I believe some of the aftermarket parts come with some sort of warranty also. I would say try your local performance shop and get some quotes and ask about warranty as well. Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Another New Member from Houston!