Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 F-150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 F-150 won't start

I have a 1995 Ford F-150. Turns over great but won't start, I can hear fuel pump initializing. Had same problem 4 years ago, replaced fuel filter it ran fine. I replaced filter again tonight still won't start. Removed distibutor cap, no cracks but it is pitted along with rotor (what causes this). Am wondering if new rotor, cap, and wires may do the trick.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

An engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, spark and air. Air isn't usually a problem, so check for spark. If you've got spark then the fuel probably isn't reaching the cylinders. If you don't have a fuel pressure guage then put some gas in the throttle body and see if it starts.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine turns over great! What does that mean? Am wondering about timing chain. Pull distributor cap off, turn crank by hand, does rotor turn and is it at #1 when crank is at TDC. Remember it can be 180 degrees out and still in time. (Only on exhaust stroke, any where else is a no-no.)

Last edited by Good old Bill; 05-29-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Bill,
Thanks for the reply. I have changed pulgs, wires, cap & rotor, along with coil. Still no spark. I am beginning to think you are right. Is there an 'easy way' to check if timing chain is bad?
One Brown who is now frustrated.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
We'd do it

Even if the timing chain is bad, you should still get spark, unless it is completely broken. On my '87 i was having spark problems and it turned out to be the ignition module. Not sure if yours has it too. It's on the side of the distributor and requires a special tool to remove, the part store should have on the shelf. This can be tested before you buy a new one. Just remove it and bring it to the store.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Even if the timing chain is bad, you should still get spark, unless it is completely broken. On my '87 i was having spark problems and it turned out to be the ignition module. Not sure if yours has it too. It's on the side of the distributor and requires a special tool to remove, the part store should have on the shelf. This can be tested before you buy a new one. Just remove it and bring it to the store.
Sean,
Thanks for getting back. I took the module in and had it checked, they told me it was good. My module(or what I think was the module) was located on the drivers side fender well. There is nothing on or near the distributor. Any ideas? Also, I should be able to pull the wire off the coil and see spark shouldn't I?

Last edited by One Brown; 05-29-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
We'd do it

Well, this is turning out to be one fun problem. I think you should read the computer and see if it gives you any codes. This is where I usually start anyway. This might give us a better place to look. Also, if you haven't allready, pull any plug wire or the coil wire and put a screwdriver in it. Lay it near any ground like the engine block or a bracket and then crank the engine and watch for spark. The screwdriver should be about 1/4 inch from the metal.

Last edited by Just call me Sean; 05-29-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 PM

I suppose I have to take it to a shop for that? Put fuel in throttle body, no go. Rechecked spark, no spark.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
We'd do it

You should be able to do it yourself.You have to locate the diagnostic terminals under the hood. Should be driver side near the firewall. One single wire with a connector and one six wire connector. Neither should be plugged into anything. Does your truck have check engine light? Mine doesn't so I have to use a voltmeter but if yours does you can read the light. Want to give it a try?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
You should be able to do it yourself.You have to locate the diagnostic terminals under the hood. Should be driver side near the firewall. One single wire with a connector and one six wire connector. Neither should be plugged into anything. Does your truck have check engine light? Mine doesn't so I have to use a voltmeter but if yours does you can read the light. Want to give it a try?
Sean,
I find a connector coming off the ignition module, 2 red wires going to it. Not finding the 6 wire. Yes it has check engine light, yes it comes on when I try to start it.

Quick Reply: 1995 F-150 won't start