Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

wrote on my muddy truck now writing still shows!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default wrote on my muddy truck now writing still shows!

got a few questions.. few days ago, i went mudding, and it was my girlfriends birthday so i wrote on my truck with my finger happy bday and stuff, drove around all weekend.. and finally washed it.. but i can still see the writing i wrote.. i just did a quick wash with it...

any ideas how to get it off? clay bar?

I don't really wash my truck much as i don't really like clean trucks
Old 06-17-2016, 06:51 AM
Vintage bike builder

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Clay bar is about the only thing.

I used to race motocross pretty heavily so my SUV was always covered in dust and mud from driving to the track and towing my trailer. All my friends thought it would be great to draw through the dust on it with their fingers. I used a clay bar and took it off.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

May be scratches in the clear. Some generic scratch remover or clear coat safe compound should get rid of it.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 13.
May be scratches in the clear. Some generic scratch remover or clear coat safe compound should get rid of it.
This ^

If the scratches are not deep you should be able to easily remove with scratch remover. If they are deeper you may need a more aggressive polish and a dual action polisher.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by chickenwire
This ^

If the scratches are not deep you should be able to easily remove with scratch remover. If they are deeper you may need a more aggressive polish and a dual action polisher.
clay bar didn't work, it removed some of it but most of it is still their.. name some brands?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Scratch X is a common one at the box stores. Meguiar's mirror glaze 83 is my "go to" for bi-annual polishing. Best results are with a dual action buffer. If it's not something you're going to use very often you can try the Meguiar's DA attachment for your drill.

Just remember to use a wax or sealant when you're done to protect the clear coat.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Clay bar is not going to remove scratches, machine polish probably needed compound and then a finishing polish. If you really went nuts it may not all come out if its to deep.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st off,never,ever write in or try to rub off mud on paint or glass.What you end up with is scratches.
You have two solutions,you can coverup the scratches with mud,since you don't like a clean truck,this would work out well for you.
Or,you could try polishing compound and a buffer as others have said.Start with the finest compound and if that fails step to up a blend that's a little more aggressive.
BTW Happy B-Day to your girl,tell her she owes you a little something now.

Quick Reply: wrote on my muddy truck now writing still shows!