Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Wiper Cowl Restore

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wiper Cowl Restore

Had 2 issues with my '05 wiper cowl, the end pieces on both sides were shot and mostly gone from the sun and time so I yanked them off about six mos ago, and the entire cowl had faded to a sickly looking light grey color.

Finally found replacement end pieces at cowlends.com and decided to pull the 2 pieces off and restore the finish with some Meguiar's Ultimate Black. Had both pieces off truck in 10 mins, applied 2 coats of the Meguiar's product and they looked pretty good. Installation went pretty good EXCEPT for one item. The left and right piece hook together with 3 small hook tabs on bottom of driver's side piece. I cannot get them to latch back up. I watched a video on installing these and it was not mentioned at all but looked like the guy just whacked the driver's side piece with the open palm of his hand and they must have latched then? I had no luck doing this. Anyone have any experience with this and know the solution?

Last edited by MotoMike; 06-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

you should of painted them.. the Meguiars will wash off and they will fade again.. been there done that.. dont know why your having a problem snapping the 2 togeather.. hit it harder..lol
Old 06-21-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mark. I've hit them pretty hard so far. Hitting it, I've moved the driver's side piece flush up against the pass side piece where it seems like it should have latched up. The pass side piece is fixed by the 7mm screw under center of windshield.

This is the first time I've "reblacked" any plastic on this truck. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm thinking about trying the heat gun approach on the bed rail caps. Harbor Freight has a 1500w gun for $10 with a coupon.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

I know about the screw after the 2 pieces snap together..just trying to vision the snap together part...I too replaced the cowl ends and removed the cowl and shot it with 3 coats of Krylon fusion... still looks great after 2 years.

Quick Reply: Wiper Cowl Restore