Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Wax: Nu-Finish

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wax: Nu-Finish

I have recently bought and applied Nu-Finish once a year wax to my truck... Has any one ever had experience with this?

It goes on with a damp rag, then allowed to dry and haze over. Then rub off with a microfiber rag in circular motions like a traditional waxing. It looks great, but just curious if theres a better waxing method out there and what will be best for scratch filling and somewhat protective during the heavy snow and salt we get in the winters here in NYS.

Thanks for any feedback regarding waxing!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the stuff is supposed to be fairly abrasive. I doubt it would really last a year unless the vehicle were garaged and rarely driven.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought that crap when I was 18 for my first car...it sucked. Car looked terrible. I switched to a clay bar and Mothers paste wax buffing everything off by hand...I don't prefer liquid wax though, so, that's just me.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

One of the best and easiest wax products is:
Collinite 845.
Purchase at Amazon, Ebay and a few auto parts stores.
Easy to apply, easy to rub off, lasts a long time.
Can be used on plastic, rubber, vinyl, glass - no stains and no adverse effects.
Collinite will not clean the surfaces or help to hide scratches.
You will need to use some other polishing compounds if there are scratches or stains.
Collinite will give you one of the easiest and best shines possible with very little elbow grease.
Apply it by hand and then rub it off by hand or with a polisher.
I can wax my entire truck in less than an hour.
The following users liked this post:
Thlorian (08-25-2015)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Earlsays
I bought that crap when I was 18 for my first car...it sucked. Car looked terrible. I switched to a clay bar and Mothers paste wax buffing everything off by hand...I don't prefer liquid wax though, so, that's just me.
This stuff I have is a paste and its hand buffed also...

I'm curious about those clay bars... If you've got a link or something I can read about them I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
One of the best and easiest wax products is:
Collinite 845.
Purchase at Amazon, Ebay and a few auto parts stores.
Easy to apply, easy to rub off, lasts a long time.
Can be used on plastic, rubber, vinyl, glass - no stains and no adverse effects.
Collinite will not clean the surfaces or help to hide scratches.
You will need to use some other polishing compounds if there are scratches or stains.
Collinite will give you one of the easiest and best shines possible with very little elbow grease.
Apply it by hand and then rub it off by hand or with a polisher.
I can wax my entire truck in less than an hour.
Interesting, I'm looking mostly for a protectant wax rather than luster and shine, but ill take a look at the Collinite 845 if I need a polishing coat later on. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisJRab
Interesting, I'm looking mostly for a protectant wax rather than luster and shine, but ill take a look at the Collinite 845 if I need a polishing coat later on. Thanks!
Here is a link to a GREAT resource for detailing information. There are 'how to' articles on practically everything. Collinite 845 is a last step product, not a polish. The flow chart at this link is very useful to help understand what each of the various products do, and the sequence/order in which they should be used. Here is the link: http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Also, here is a link to the 'how to' on clay bar: http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

As you can see, there are several steps involved to get a protective coat that looks great and lasts a long time. In my experience, the 'one step' products such as Nu-Finish cannot compete with a multi-step process that is selected appropriatlely based on the specific condition of a given vehicle.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mechehog

Here is a link to a GREAT resource for detailing information. There are 'how to' articles on practically everything. Collinite 845 is a last step product, not a polish. The flow chart at this link is very useful to help understand what each of the various products do, and the sequence/order in which they should be used. Here is the link: http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Also, here is a link to the 'how to' on clay bar: http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

As you can see, there are several steps involved to get a protective coat that looks great and lasts a long time. In my experience, the 'one step' products such as Nu-Finish cannot compete with a multi-step process that is selected appropriatlely based on the specific condition of a given vehicle.
Wow, very descriptive, thanks! The clay bar sounds pretty good, maybe ill grab one next time I'm in town!

Last edited by ChrisJRab; 09-04-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Skip the clay bar and get a nanoskin-- http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html Does the exact same thing as clay but much much easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by olemiss reb:
ChrisJRab (09-04-2014), mechehog (09-05-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by olemiss reb
Skip the clay bar and get a nanoskin-- http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html Does the exact same thing as clay but much much easier.
That stuff is the coolest, totally won me over by reading about it! Thanks a ton!

Quick Reply: Wax: Nu-Finish