Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Removing scratches

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing scratches

I was just wondering what everyone uses to remove scratches and swirl marks in the paint. I have scratches from the front fender all the way to the tailgate on the passenger side. They are only surface scratches but it seems like most of the stuff that says scratch remover doesn't work all that great. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

claybar and a good buffer.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

A claybar will not remove scratches, that's not what it's designed for.

Gregor - Kinda hard to give you any advice sight unseen. If you run your fingernail along the scratch does it get caught by the scratch? If not then you may be able to get them out using something like Meguire's ScratchX, if your fingernail does get caught by the scratch then you need something more aggressive then a $30 buffer and Wally world products. If you use the ScratchX remember this stuff isn't like the karate kid and simply wax on wax off. You really have to work it in aggressively to make it work correctly. Also just remember whatever you use it may take more than one or two applications to do the job correctly.

Some tips to help minimize scratches (nothing will give you 100% scratch protection);

-When you wash your vehicle use the 2 bucket method (1 bucket for soap and another bucket of clean water)
-For wash mitt use something like a genuine sheepskin, don't use anything synthetic.
-Use a good car wash and use the proper amount. When washing you don't need to keep going over the same area with several passes. Your mitt will pick up the dirt within the first few passes, if you keep going over the same area you are just rubbing this dirt against your paint over and over. This is a main cause of light surface scratches.
-Use a good microfiber towel for drying. Save your best MF towels for the paint and never use the same towels for the paint that you would use on the wheels, wheelwells or plastic/chrome parts. When you wash you MF towels wash them all seperately and never use bleach or dry them on hot.

These are just my suggestions and some of the things I do to help my truck looking nice.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
A claybar will not remove scratches, that's not what it's designed for.

Gregor - Kinda hard to give you any advice sight unseen. If you run your fingernail along the scratch does it get caught by the scratch? If not then you may be able to get them out using something like Meguire's ScratchX, if your fingernail does get caught by the scratch then you need something more aggressive then a $30 buffer and Wally world products. If you use the ScratchX remember this stuff isn't like the karate kid and simply wax on wax off. You really have to work it in aggressively to make it work correctly. Also just remember whatever you use it may take more than one or two applications to do the job correctly.

Some tips to help minimize scratches (nothing will give you 100% scratch protection);

-When you wash your vehicle use the 2 bucket method (1 bucket for soap and another bucket of clean water)
-For wash mitt use something like a genuine sheepskin, don't use anything synthetic.
-Use a good car wash and use the proper amount. When washing you don't need to keep going over the same area with several passes. Your mitt will pick up the dirt within the first few passes, if you keep going over the same area you are just rubbing this dirt against your paint over and over. This is a main cause of light surface scratches.
-Use a good microfiber towel for drying. Save your best MF towels for the paint and never use the same towels for the paint that you would use on the wheels, wheelwells or plastic/chrome parts. When you wash you MF towels wash them all seperately and never use bleach or dry them on hot.

These are just my suggestions and some of the things I do to help my truck looking nice.
Yes a claybar won't remove the swirls, but its necessary before buffing.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
Yes a claybar won't remove the swirls, but its necessary before buffing.
Agreed. I would always recommend claying after washing your truck to remove imperfections left over, that's what a claybar is designed for.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Blue Angel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WXM you are like the cleaner god. I already do most of what you said except for the towels. I use hospital towels. I do have a question though. What do you do about the scrathes that you can catch your nail on? Last weekend when I washed my truck I found a scratch my the lip on my talgait cover. I could catch my nail in it. What shall I do or is there anything I can do?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is only one scratch that I probably will not be able to get, and the worst part that is the only one that I put in it. Most of the ones are not deep.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Moltenice

They also have colored waxes. Most common are red and black. They help to fill fine scratches you can quite buff out.

There is a fairly new product out I think everyone should try. It's a liquid clay bar. It dosent sound like it would work, but you might be suprised.

I have so many different car chemicals in my garage it isnt even funny.. Detailing a car is no joke, and requires a healthy chunk of time.

Another thing, always wash, dry, and detail your car in the shade, out of direct sunlight.

For the interior use Oxy magic by armorall to clean the fabrics, and then go over with a few coats of scotchguard protector. It will help keep the fabric nice and clean.
For the dash and trim I use Meguiars quik detailer mist and wipe. WORKS GREAT. No greasy residue, goes on light, and cleans great. Highly recommend that with a microfiber cloth.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Moltenice
They also have colored waxes. Most common are red and black. They help to fill fine scratches you can quite buff out.

There is a fairly new product out I think everyone should try. It's a liquid clay bar. It dosent sound like it would work, but you might be suprised.

I have so many different car chemicals in my garage it isnt even funny.. Detailing a car is no joke, and requires a healthy chunk of time.

Another thing, always wash, dry, and detail your car in the shade, out of direct sunlight.

For the interior use Oxy magic by armorall to clean the fabrics, and then go over with a few coats of scotchguard protector. It will help keep the fabric nice and clean.
For the dash and trim I use Meguiars quik detailer mist and wipe. WORKS GREAT. No greasy residue, goes on light, and cleans great. Highly recommend that with a microfiber cloth.
It seems like everyone who has tried it says it is a joke and a waste of money.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^x2

I have read the same.

and if you want to clean your car in the shade, just do it in your garage, I do it all the time because it it too sunny.

just make sure you have a working floor drain, lol

Quick Reply: Removing scratches