Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some advice

So i just finished washing and waxing( collinite 845) my truck and noticed some dark almost water spot looking marks on my paint and windows. No matter how hard i wiped they would not come off.

Anybody no what these are, what causes them and how to to remove?

Also is it good to do a detail spray after waxing?

thanks
Old 07-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be your water. Hard water can cause those. Have you tried taking a clay bar to it? You may also want to try some Scratch-X from Meguairs. It may get them out without damaging your clear coat or paint. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM

Tried to get some pics, You can see them on the window pic if you look. on the first pic you can see one by the top of one pf the trees. Very hard to see but they are there and all over the truck. Looking at them I'm not sure if they are actually water spots, I did not notice them before I washed.

Name:  WaterMarks1_zpsa2b4b1ea.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  Watermarks2_zpsb6b5d244.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by Sask F150; 07-12-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If it's those specks I have them as well.
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice-image.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you clay and polish, you can try detail spray I use it after every wash as a wipe down to remove any water spots.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

you have fallout and slight hard water spots.

To get rid of the fallout you need to use a light claying or Nanoskin towel. Do they feel "rough" when you lightly drag your hand over the area?

For the hard water spots use vinegar, this mild acid will break up the mineral pools left behind. Spray onto your cloth and work into the glass, keep damp and work for about a min if you can. If they don't come off you will have to increase to a more stout acid. I can make suggestions if it comes to that point.

You will have to rewax, and after most claying sessions you will need to polish as it can mar the finish, being a black truck you will notice the marring more easily.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Reflections Detail

To get rid of the fallout you need to use a light claying or Nanoskin towel. Do they feel "rough" when you lightly drag your hand over the area?

For the hard water spots use vinegar, this mild acid will break up the mineral pools left behind. Spray onto your cloth and work into the glass, keep damp and work for about a min if you can. If they don't come off you will have to increase to a more stout acid. I can make suggestions if it comes to that point.

You will have to rewax, and after most claying sessions you will need to polish as it can mar the finish, being a black truck you will notice the marring more easily.

Cheers,
GREG
Thanks for the reply Greg

I can't really seem to feel anything when I run my fingers over the spots. It almost looks like its in the glass but I know thats not the case since they were not there when I bought the truck.

I tried putting vinegar on a cloth and rubbing the area and they did not come off although I did not rub for a minute . I did not try on the paint though.

As for the body you can only see them if you look really close and in the right light.

This is only the second time I've washed the truck at home lol
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have hard water and what I do to get rid of spots is to rinse the truck with the hose and then rinse it with distilled water before I hand dry it. I use three gallons and no more spots.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Reflections Detail

Cheers,
GREG

Greg, what would you recommend after the vinegar? I have water spots on my mustangs windows that will not come off.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you use 100% vinegar? Did you work the vinegar over the surface for like a min before wiping off? Do this first before proceeding.

If you have some 0000 steel wool that can remove over spray off glass and does mineral deposits too. Just don't apply a lot of force. test in a spot on a corner of the glass first to dial in your technique and test the idea.

For chemical cleaning on glass and paint I like this http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...al-techniques/

Cheers,
GREG
The following users liked this post:
one2nine (07-20-2014)

Quick Reply: Need some advice