Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Nanoskin Autoscrub Sponge

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Nanoskin Autoscrub Sponge

I purchased a Nanoskin Autoscrub Spong (fine) from amazon hoping to use it this weekend. Can wash solution be used as lube when using it? I've read some reviews that people use their left over wash solution with the nanoskin products, but also have seen reviews stating that the wash solution may cause the sponge to breakdown and leave a residue behind. Not sure what to believe at this point, so was hoping to get some advice.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,123 Likes on 2,829 Posts

I've always used spray detailer
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Ask them: http://www.nanoskinusa.com/contacts/
Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

I would not use soap. Those things generate a decent amount of heat which would "burn through" soap and water very quickly.

I used Meguires detailer spray with mine, very pleased with the results and ease of use, great product!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by John Voss
I purchased a Nanoskin Autoscrub Spong (fine) from amazon hoping to use it this weekend. Can wash solution be used as lube when using it? I've read some reviews that people use their left over wash solution with the nanoskin products, but also have seen reviews stating that the wash solution may cause the sponge to breakdown and leave a residue behind. Not sure what to believe at this point, so was hoping to get some advice.
You want to use GLIDE with the sponge, towel etc. If you don't you greatly risk marring the surface.

Amazon.com: Nanoskin (NA-GLI16) Glide Instant Detail Spray Lubricant - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Nanoskin (NA-GLI16) Glide Instant Detail Spray Lubricant - 16 oz.: Automotive

Cheers,
GREG
Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I used megs last touch quick detailer as a lube and the blue nanosponge left a strange haze on the paint... Had to hit it with the da polisher and megs 205 to clear it up.

Haven't used the sponge since then.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I use the Nanoskin sponge, towel and DA pad all the time without any micro-marring.
The only "grade" I use if FINE. I believe the blue Autoscrub sponge is the FINE grade.

I would not suggest using soapy water. I believe it degrades the polymerized rubber.

Like Greg said...the "clay lube" that is designed for use with the Autoscrub is Glide.
I have used a diluted Optimum No Rinse (ONR) with good success but Glide is best.

The "trick" is to break-in the sponge first. Use it on your windows to prep for use.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I use 1 oz of soap and 1 oz onr to 2 gallons of water, I will spray onr on each panel as I go never had a problem. I also use the fine grade on tuxedo black.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I use GLIDE with the blue "fine" grade nanoskin.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Resurrecting this thread for additional insight. Loved the nanoskin wash glove for the first 2 uses. 3rd use was on my F150 when I realized I had picked up some road tar in a couple of spots. Cleaned those up with WD40 and forgot to completely wash that panel before using the nanoskin. Noticed it started to leave a gray residue . . .

Yes, I ruined it. Even letting it set 24 hours, it was still "gummy".

The makers do state that it is NOT RESISTANT TO SOLVENTS. (And they ain't lyin!)

I'm buying another because the speed it gives you compared to regular clay barring is VERY significant. I just have to remember to not be a dumbass, something that apparently is getting more and more difficult to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nanoskin Autoscrub Sponge