Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Keeping Black truck looking clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keeping Black truck looking clean

Hey all!

Just bought a shiny new loaded tuxedo black fx4 super crew with appearance package. Man what a nice truck only Problem is keeping it clean. Got the truck from dealer with the protection plan and man was it shiny, until it rained. Now I have these horrible water spots and dirt all over it.

I've never been much of a wash my truck all the time type guy but then again this is my first brand new vehicle and I want to keep it looking mint for years to come.

Now, I know how black vehicles are and that they are tough to keep clean but IMO there is nothing nicer than a shiny blacked out ford f150 so i need to learn what the fastest way to wash my truck after it gets like this. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and between the horrible snow and salt in the winter and the rain, hail and dust in the summer it can be killer on vehicles.

Ok, so to start Ive read that a foam gun is a Essential step in the washing process so I ordered a gilmore foamaster II and will do the two bucket wash after. What kind of wash mitts do you recommend that wont scratch and leave swirl marks? Is there a good soap I should be using in the foam gun and buckets?

When this is done I was going to get some of that turtle wax ice as the final step. Is this a good product to use? From what I've read its simple and fast and lasts for a couple of months. Ive read about the collinite 845 stuff but around these parts its hard to find and I would pretty much have to order it in.

Any fellow Sask members know where to get Collinite 845 stuff locally?

Also what do you guys recommend for keeping the dust off the truck. People I know have said to use the original California duster but Ive read online some people don't like it and it can leave small scratches.

Any help or tips is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Sask F150; 06-19-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it from one who also just bought a black truck..........You sir, have a new hobby!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tdkkart
Take it from one who also just bought a black truck..........You sir, have a new hobby!!!

Lol oh I know lol

This is not the first black vehicle I've owned just the first one I care about.

Last edited by Sask F150; 06-19-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

+1 for the appearance package! I saw one locally and the all black looks pretty sweet.

First off, wash and dry your truck in the shade. I'm sure you know that already but since it's black, the water spots will show more.

I just used my Gilmour Foam master II a few weeks ago w/ Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and wow, love it! I too use the two bucket method and it cuts time in half. A little goes a long way also.

For washing, I use a Chemical Guys Chenille MF mitt, perfect to me. you need to make sure yours is clean every time to avoid left over dirt staying onto the next wash.

I have a Cobra Guzzler HD for drying along with Meguiars water magnet. I'd prefer the water magnet being it has more play in it. The Cobra Guzzler HD is more for patting dry with the foam piece inside. I'd go for a good size waffle towel, Chemical Guys has a lot to choose from and they're cheap. Being your truck is black, I would try to go for a blower to remove all water on the top.

I have the Collinite 845 but have yet to use it. Got a wedding coming up so the weekends have been busy for me. Also living in an apartment right now doesn't help. Hopefully soon that should change for me.
The following users liked this post:
Sask F150 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by yanki01
+1 for the appearance package! I saw one locally and the all black looks pretty sweet.

First off, wash and dry your truck in the shade. I'm sure you know that already but since it's black, the water spots will show more.

I just used my Gilmour Foam master II a few weeks ago w/ Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and wow, love it! I too use the two bucket method and it cuts time in half. A little goes a long way also.

For washing, I use a Chemical Guys Chenille MF mitt, perfect to me. you need to make sure yours is clean every time to avoid left over dirt staying onto the next wash.

I have a Cobra Guzzler HD for drying along with Meguiars water magnet. I'd prefer the water magnet being it has more play in it. The Cobra Guzzler HD is more for patting dry with the foam piece inside. I'd go for a good size waffle towel, Chemical Guys has a lot to choose from and they're cheap. Being your truck is black, I would try to go for a blower to remove all water on the top.

I have the Collinite 845 but have yet to use it. Got a wedding coming up so the weekends have been busy for me. Also living in an apartment right now doesn't help. Hopefully soon that should change for me.

Thanks for the info yanki01! Is there any kind of Meguiars soap or wash mitt you recommend? Cant find chemical guys around here but my local canadian tire sells Meguiars along with other brands. I will pick up a Water magnet though.

Last edited by Sask F150; 06-20-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Anybody Else? come on you black f-150 owners, spill the beans lol
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

always work in the shade, use microfiber towels only, bucket with a grit guard...youll get results like this

and it is a hobby lol...

my current 14

Name:  F98C6234-A8BD-458E-BEB5-B3E7E86B12CA_zpszy89unke.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  13187BCB-0C65-4AAD-A1A2-3E52F084BF43_zpsr2k110xp.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  166.1 KB

my old 07

Name:  IMAG1765_zpshdnzuq00.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1766_zpsftdlwkpi.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  118.1 KB

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

I have never had black, but I have had Dark Green for over 10 years. Difficulty = Similar...
Some people will tell you to never use a California Duster. I will tell you that it works great. Don't use it on a wet vehicle, not on a dirty vehicle.
It will take the dust off of a dusty vehicle and make it look like new again. No damage and no scratches.
I have been using the California Duster for over 30 years with good results.
The following users liked this post:
Sask F150 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
I have never had black, but I have had Dark Green for over 10 years. Difficulty = Similar...
Some people will tell you to never use a California Duster. I will tell you that it works great. Don't use it on a wet vehicle, not on a dirty vehicle.
It will take the dust off of a dusty vehicle and make it look like new again. No damage and no scratches.
I have been using the California Duster for over 30 years with good results.
ahhh thanks for that, I was going to ask about those. I know people that love them and they told me to get one right away. I then started reading forums and the negative reviews itgets and started second guessing the purchase.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

There are many cheaper ones and fakes. I have had the original one for over 30 years now. It is almost black and heavier than how it was new. Works better than ever. I will normally wipe off the truck every day and it looks like it was just washed.
Here is a link to one at Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Keeping Black truck looking clean