Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

How to restore faded plastic parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How to restore faded plastic parts?

I am in the market for a used F-150 and today while at a dealership, I was looking at a 2006 Lariat with 18,000 miles. The problem is that it's been sun baked and the door handle pockets and rear view mirrors, bed rails and the skirt below the wipers look pretty faded.
I talked to the salesman about it, then an older sales guy walked out and said the old school method of restoring the plastic is to apply automatic transmission fluid!
He grabbed a quart of ATX fluid and a rag and proceeded to wipe down all the plastic parts. He said you need to do this every so often, but that's how they did it back in the 60's.

How much of a crock is this?
What damage could result from using automatic tranny fluid on the exterior of the vehicle, plastic, paint etc?

I put money down on the truck, but and having second thoughts.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow up: After doing further Google searches, I found the following post on a Mercedes forum...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/deta...129-107-a.html

Last edited by HD494; 08-06-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure Mothers makes some called Back to Black or something like that. Correct me if im wrong, but my buddy uses it and it looks pretty good. So far i dont have that problem, but im pretty sure that stuff works. Just my .02
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 AM

there are several different products out there to restore the trim. its not hard to apply you just have to do it ever so often just like polishing or window cleaning or any other detailing maintance.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by kankles
Im pretty sure Mothers makes some called Back to Black or something like that. Correct me if im wrong, but my buddy uses it and it looks pretty good. So far i dont have that problem, but im pretty sure that stuff works. Just my .02
Back to black is correct...I have a bottle of it ...and it works gr8...but you have to keep using it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems the tranny fluid will cause more trouble then good in the end. There's several products that work well including Back to Black. The plastic trim isn't enough to not buy the truck by any means though...

Not to mention, that crap sounds like some old school used car trick to me!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to black works good. I found another product that also works great but does not turn white over time. Its Turtle wax Black Box. Its a 3 step cleaner/wax for black vehicles. I was using it on my wifes black xlt and decided to try it on the black trim. I applied just the black wax, let it set from a minute, then buffed it off. Looked great and left a slight shine to the trim. Also after it rained, it allowed the water to bead on it. Hence protecting it. Dont know how long it will last but it looks great right now.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Darth:

I agree on both points...I'll just wait for the tranny fluid fix to wear off, which it should do after a wash or two, then follow up with Mother's B2B or similar. The truck will be in the driveway 2 morrow...first Ford F-150 for me. All I can say is that with all the paint problems I've had with GM (chevy) that I'll never buy another GM product...the way the company stand, perhaps nobody will ever have to.

Last edited by HD494; 08-07-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM

HD494:

yeah let me tell you Government Motors and all that are associated are garbage. i will never sit in one again. i honestly dislike them because all gm reps that ive gone to do horrible service.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another option is painting them with Krylon Fusion...some of the members have done this with great results!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 AM

is there any special steps or prep work to do before painting?

Quick Reply: How to restore faded plastic parts?