Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Haze on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Haze on windshield

My truck is just about 2 months old and I have some type of film or haze on the windshield that I can't seem to get rid of. It almost looks like the window is fogged up, but on the outside. It's most noticable at night in the rain where it appears as streaks behind the wiper blades, but can also be seen in the morning when driving into the sun as a general haze.

I've tried cleaning it multiple times with Invisible Glass and Invisible Glass Water Spot remover, along with a microfiber cloth. Might have to step up to a cleaner w/ Amonia, but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?

BTW, I haven't treated the glass with anything like RainX, and it's still the OEM fluid in the washer resevoir, if it matters.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Try alcohol on a small area of the windshield as a test just to see if it's something that's actually on the windshield. Alcohol should clean up almost any oil/wax/residue. If it does clean it up, you can try washing the windshield using dish washing liquid or liquid laundry detergent. They are typically strong soaps that will cut through grease/wax/oil.
The following users liked this post:
LMychajluk (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Also forgot to mention, that if you do end up washing the windshield and part of the body with dish washing liquid or laundry detergent, then it will be a good idea to wax the truck right after, since the soap will most likely strip the remaining wax off and leaving the body unprotected.

Of course if you're not concerned with the paint, then forget what I just said.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Let up know if the Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) -
(Yea, I know IPA has another acronym) gets the film off.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Let up know if the Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) -
(Yea, I know IPA has another acronym) gets the film off.
Yeah, I was going to give it a good rub down on Sunday and forgot about it after cleaning the garage. I remembered this morning because it was raining and now I can see it again....
Old 11-15-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

A lot of laundry soap / Dishwashing soap contain oils. That oil is the smell (Mountain fresh, Lavender, ect) so when washing your window cloths be sure and use a detergent without oils.
I was having the same problem, but after changing to Tide Sensitive Skin laundry detergent for washing these cleaning cloths I have not had a problem since
Try using paper towels instead and see if it goes away.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a '17 Explorer and have the same thing! I clay barred the entire vehicle, including the glass, hoping that would do it. While it was less apparent, the "residue" was still there! (Saw it when washing the vehicle Sunday.)

Might try denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl. That way you get a rain-x treatment at the same time you clean it.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Still trying to get the haze off.

I tried the alcohol (isopropyl) w/ paper towels, which didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. I followed that up w/ another cleaning using SeeSpray, which smells like it's pure ammonia, with a paper towel, and it seemed to help a bit, but still not great. Both options seemed to just smear the haze more than anything else. Driving at night after this, I could still see the smears where I wiped when the light from a streetlight caught it at just the right angle.

I did another round of cleaning w/ Invisible Glass and a glass-cleaning microfiber cloth (these), and again, it's better, but still not perfect. This is a different cloth than I was using originally, and seems to make the most difference of anything I've tried so far (since I had used the Invisible Glass before). Might try using this cloth again w/ a couple of different cleaners to see if I can get it off.

Btw, most of the cloths I've used are brand new - never washed, but I'll keep the laundry detergent thing in mind.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue on mine. A good friend of mine is a detailer,, he mixed me a very heavy water to a light amount of wheel acid in a spray bottle. Went to a do-it your self car wash, sprayed on the window and let it sit for a count of 30. Sprayed the window and really soaked the truck heavily after that to remove any remnants of the wheel acid. Seems to have worked. Couldn't tell you whats on there but this got it off.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sorry correction

Originally Posted by sldshawns
Same issue on mine. A good friend of mine is a detailer,, he mixed me a very heavy water to a light amount of wheel acid in a spray bottle. Went to a do-it your self car wash, sprayed on the window and let it sit for a count of 30. Sprayed the window and really soaked the truck heavily after that to remove any remnants of the wheel acid. Seems to have worked. Couldn't tell you whats on there but this got it off.
It was De-greaser not wheel acid, my apologies. I was reading the thread about what people are using on their rims and wasnt paying attention as to what I was typing.