Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Glaze prior to Collinite 845?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Glaze prior to Collinite 845?

I'm planning to try Collinite 845 for the first time in a week or two. I've done 2 & 3 step applications before using 3M & Meguiars products. Step 1 was polish/cleaner, step 2 was a glaze and step 3 a carnauba wax. I was very happy with the gloss and even happier with how slick the finish was. My F150 is only a few weeks old, so the polish/cleaner step (or potentially clay bar) might not be necessary or should be simple if it is. Step 3, or the last step, will definitely be Collinite 845. My question is do any of you typically use a glaze prior to the Collinite application? If so, what? In prior experience it seemed the glaze step definitely enhanced the depth of color/shine/gloss and gave the surface a glass like smoothness. All things that Collinite 845 seems to get rave reviews for.

Is the glaze worth the effort with Collinite?
Who has tried it?
Professional detailer's opinions/experience?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I use the Chemical Guys EZ glaze. I'm not sure it improved the appearance significantly as the finish was in good condition. I can say that it hasn't nurt the appearance, and I suspect that if anything, it gave the Collinite better purchase on the surface. That is, I didn't lose durability on the Collinite.

It's not time consuming in the great scheme of things. Really just a question of whether you want the expense for something that at best provides marginal improvement.

There's glaze and then there is glaze you know. Traditionally glaze was just a slightly oily thing that provided shine--like a glazed doughnut. More recently it's kind of a pre-sealant.

P.S. easy on the abrasives--its a new car.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've never used a glaze prior to waxing. I come from using nu-finish wax before I discovered Collinite. Collinite gives an amazing deep shine. Won't be disappointed with the results.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by shazam
Yeah, I use the Chemical Guys EZ glaze. I'm not sure it improved the appearance significantly as the finish was in good condition. I can say that it hasn't nurt the appearance, and I suspect that if anything, it gave the Collinite better purchase on the surface. That is, I didn't lose durability on the Collinite.

It's not time consuming in the great scheme of things. Really just a question of whether you want the expense for something that at best provides marginal improvement.

There's glaze and then there is glaze you know. Traditionally glaze was just a slightly oily thing that provided shine--like a glazed doughnut. More recently it's kind of a pre-sealant.

P.S. easy on the abrasives--its a new car.
It was built in mid October of last year so maybe something light. I'm leaning toward the fine grade autoscrub towel by Nanoskin, and going easy with that.

Last edited by mechehog; 08-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Nanoskin towel

Well, Nanoskin is basically a clay substitute, right? No harm in that.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mechehog
It was built in mid October of last year so may something light. I'm leaning toward the fine grade autoscrub towel by Nanoskin, and going easy with that.
Do it!! They are awesome! So much easier to use and last so much longer, and you don't have to store it in a little container, or have to throw it away if it falls on the ground. Not as cost effective as a clay for a one time use, but if you plan to use it even a handful of times, it's paid for itself, not to mention you can use it another 30 more times or so on a large vehicle.
NOTE: I have no affiliation with them AT ALL, I just have used it and clay for many years and once I used the towel, I have never looked back. Use a good clay lube and have at it! You will definitely feel a difference afterward, but it can leave slight marring on dark paint if too much pressure is used, but a good polish and sealant or wax will get rid of that.
The following users liked this post:
mechehog (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Chemical guys blacklight.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Because they sit in a lot as the paint cures, I would clay bar, followed by a sealer (I used Detailers Pro Series>AutoGeek) finish with Collinite 845. That process has left my black truck with a no swirl, durable shine for nearly a year.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM

Here is what I've settled on:
1. Wash
2. Nanoskin Autoscrub
3. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
4. Collinite 845
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mechehog
Here is what I've settled on:
1. Wash
2. Nanoskin Autoscrub
3. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
4. Collinite 845
It worked great....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glaze prior to Collinite 845?