Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Getting the farm smell out of a truck

Old 02-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting the farm smell out of a truck

So I bought a truck a month ago from a farmer. It for sure hadnt been cleaned or vacuumed in years. Its a nice truck. 05 F150 lariat fully loaded but the entire interior is covered in a dirt film. To save some time ill just post a pic of it.

Anyway I got all the dirt out and it still wreaks like a farm. I'm talking the smell of raw cow crap. Anyone have any innovative ideas to get rid of this smell other than the obvious (air fresheners, febreeze, etc) Im going to try a home air purifier in it for overnight tonight and see if that helps any.

Also there is a ton of dog hair woven into the back carpet that slowly comes out but would take hours with a shop vac to remove. Any tips for that?
Attached Thumbnails Getting the farm smell out of a truck-20141220_142254_resized.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,122 Likes on 2,829 Posts

first WOW

second get yourself one of these...life saver for getting hair out

http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Pet_H...1-details.aspx

and second for the carpet get a good carpet cleaner(bissel little green machine or similar) and scrub those carpets

then get a vent treatment to spray through the HVAC intake on the cowl..that will treat the a/c system and kill anything in there
Old 02-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

save yourself the work go spend $130-200 on a professional clean.

Gonna do it yourself yep get a good carpet cleaner to do the main, toss the floor mats out. As for smell I could say sprinkle baking soda in it. But pending how bad it looks under neath the floor mats you might have to replace the whole carpet.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Take the seats out and get a new floor carpet for the price of a professional detail. I hope you got a GREAT deal on that truck.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:49 AM

Just ordered the pet hair stone. Looks pretty interesting never seen one before. But all the amazon reviews say they work awesome. I was going to take it somewhere but decided against it. The price of the truck makes it more then worth the aggravation, Paid $1500 for it. I actually thought about just putting brand new carpet in it, just dont know if I really want to tear the whole truck apart to do it. Ill see what I can get the carpet for and go from there. The Carpet in it actually looks great Under the mats, looks brand new. Its just the dirt around the edges thats the problem. I have a bissel carpet cleaner for the house with the hose attachment. Maybe ill give that a shot and see how much dirt it removes
Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco-Mica
save yourself the work go spend $130-200 on a professional clean.

Gonna do it yourself yep get a good carpet cleaner to do the main, toss the floor mats out. As for smell I could say sprinkle baking soda in it. But pending how bad it looks under neath the floor mats you might have to replace the whole carpet.
What he said. The rock may remove the hair but not the odor. You could pay and have it done right or be cheap and have it still smell. You need to vacuum the carpet first then scrub it, then steam clean it with shampoo. Or just replace it.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Uh, yeah. Holy crap! It's going to take several rounds of "steam cleaning" to get the poop smell out. If you have the patience you'll get it gone.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:43 PM

All I did was shake the mats off and bring them inside and take our shark floor vaccuum to them and it got the passenger side and rear mats this clean. I decided Id spend the money on a decent carpet cleaner vs just paying someone to detail the truck. I bought the bissell spotclean auto and only really needed it for about 10 min on the drivers mat.

I was amazed at how well they came out. This guy wore work boots everyday and said he used the truck everyday. Im convinced the mud being there for years actually protected the carpet, theres hardly any wear on the driver mat at all. No stains, no salt buildup. Now I cant wait to get the rest of the truck done
Attached Thumbnails Getting the farm smell out of a truck-20150209_211547_resized.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

That is amazing and in fact, HILARIOUS! You're probably right- the matted mud protected the fabric. Awesome!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Again, Holy hell that's an impressive degree of dirty.

My idiot cousin spilled a bottle of doe urine in his truck. Vacuumed, number of cleaning products, and steam cleaned yet the truck still reeked. He let me have a go at it when nothing worked. I took an ozone generator off of one of my aquariums and ran it in his truck for a couple of hours and it completely wiped out the odor. Truck smells better now than it did before the spill. Finding an O3 generator may not be the easiest thing in the world but it can wipe out any odor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting the farm smell out of a truck