Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Faded paint on passenger door 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Faded paint on passenger door 2002

I have a 2002 f150 and the passenger side door and fender body panel has some spots that are fading. The rest of the truck is nice and shiny so I'd like to get it fixed if possible. Last weekend I washed, clay bar, used Meguiars ultimate compound, washed again, and then waxed. Still looks about the same or maybe a little bit better. If it's better then it's not real noticable. I think the fading is either sun fading or oxidation.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Pretty rare to have paint "fade" so I'd lean toward your assessment of oxidation. Can you post pictures?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah oxidation is probably what it is. There are some spots that turned into a light gray color. I'll get some pictures tomorrow because it's dark right now. Is oxidation fixable? As in can I fix it without getting it repainted??

I'm pretty sure the whole truck was repainted at some point except for the passenger door and passenger fender body panel. Reason why I think this is because those are the only parts that have a thin gray stripe on them. Plus, the paint is not nearly as nice on these parts compared to the rest of the vehicle.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

You may be able to buff it out. May not be able to buff it out. Hopefully a few of the forum members that do painting can chime in. As I said, it's pretty rare in my opinion to have the clear coat oxidize like that. Since it's not a very thick layer you may burn through it by the time you buff deep enough to clean it up.

Quick Reply: Faded paint on passenger door 2002