Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Care of the Platinum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Default Care of the Platinum wheels

ok, so I know how to take care of the painted areas of my truck, interior, and the engine bay. I do not know how to care for the plastics (grill) or the wheels. Well, the grill looks fine so I'll worry about that later.

The wheels are my concern. I know how to wash them and get the crap off of them. However this is a CPO truck and someone "cared" for the wheels before me. I can get them clean, but they are dull looking. I want to shine them but am unsure how. I keep hearing they are Chrome wheels, so I figured chrome polish.... but then some threads say they are coated.... so that would be a no no. Others say they are not even chrome, but polished aluminum so you need a different metal polish all together.

So, the bottom line: What does one do to the Platinum "chrome" wheels to brighten them again? Specifically these are from a 2012 Platinum
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

They are clear coated, so don't use metal polish you will scratch the crap out of them. use a light/med paint polish.

You are talking about OEM rims correct? If you use a light paint polish, and the towel turns black, they aren't clear coated. That is the tell tale sign.

I have the same rims.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM

Heh, same rims and same name. And yes, OEM platinum rims.

I have some XMT polish that I used on my subaru back when I had time. I'll see if I can find it and cross reference here to make sure it is of the style you are referring. I'll use a pad first to see if it comes off black or not first. Then was planning on use the McGuiers cone thingy on a drill to help speed things up.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would work it by hand, using the least aggressive polish I top my fx wheels with collinite 845. Then maintain them with the same soap you use to wash the truck.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Buy some nice long handled wheel cleaning brushes and use a good quality soap made for washing cars. The brake dust makes a mess of them fast and a pressure washer seem to leave layer that scrubbing takes off. The factory rims do have a clear coat applied to them.

Has anyone tried using a spray detailer on the grill plastic?

Last edited by byte; 03-30-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

Page 359 of manual...

CLEANING THE ALLOY WHEELS

Note: Do not use chrome cleaner, metal cleaner or polish on wheels and

wheel covers.

Aluminum wheels and wheel covers are coated with a clearcoat paint

finish. In order to maintain their shine:

Clean weekly with Motorcraft® Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Heavy dirt

and brake dust accumulation may require agitation with a sponge.

Rinse thoroughly with a strong stream of water.

Never apply any cleaning chemical to hot or warm wheel rims or
covers.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM

it is not residual grime or dust. I always hand wash with a sponge and soap. It has no grime left when I am done, just a dullness to the surface hence why the polish question.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by torinalth
it is not residual grime or dust. I always hand wash with a sponge and soap. It has no grime left when I am done, just a dullness to the surface hence why the polish question.
Yep mine are also dull finish. You can't polish the actual finish of the metal due to the clear coating…..unless you strip the CC and polish the metal, but then you will be a slave to the wheel every weekend!

I've learned to like the more "matte" finish look.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 AM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I've used a long handled soft bristle brush to take off the brake dust with a good quality "car wash" soap. It's a good idea to take that brake dust off regularly because it will eat away and pit the aluminium....it's corrosive.

Quick Reply: Care of the Platinum wheels