Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

Topper light hookup

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topper light hookup

I would like to thank all those in the Community who gave suggestions and comments about ways to hookup the wires for lights on a F150 shell.
I recently purchased a used Americraft topper ( no longer makes toppers) for my 2005 F150 Xcab Fx4. The two items that bothered me the most, were the shells high center brake light, and the interior dome lights. I was able to get the power from the left rear truck light for the shell clearance side lights, and could have gotten the power for the brake lights there also, but like some of you stated, when the left turn signal was used, the high center light blinked on and off.
I finally found a post concerning a dedicated stubbed out green wire with a black cap on it, located on the drivers side frame right beneath the door. As the member said, it was in a bundle of wires behind a cover, which yes, was chuck full of small rocks and dried mud. (Not a great design) After running a wire underneath the bed, back to the harness on my shell from that stubbed out green wire, I now have a center brake light which functions like it should.
I also spent the time and effort, to run a single wire( with inline fuse) from the battery,across to drivers side and down, following the green brake light to the shell. Spent quite a little time in protecting these wires with wirewrap.
Just inside the shell door on the left, where my harnesses connect, I put a switch to turn the dome lights on and off. The first time I run my battery dead 'cause I didn't turn the lights off, I might reconsider.
Anyway, I greatly appreciate everyone's input on this topic. Great Forum!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi, can you show the post where you got your info? it would be a big help. Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Light hookup on topper

After looking back through all the posts, and also other links that I got info from for hooking up the lights, while a lot of it came from the Ford 150 Forum, I did get help from this link. http://www.fordf150.net/howto/wire3rdlight.php Sorry about the confusion.

Quick Reply: Topper light hookup